[Libs-Or] Updated COVID-19 Materials Handling Advice

Buzzy Nielsen Buzzy.Nielsen at state.or.us
Thu Oct 8 16:54:00 PDT 2020

Hi Cindy,

Good question! The OHA staff who offered this advice reviewed all of the currently-available results from REALM, including the results of test 4<https://www.webjunction.org/content/dam/WebJunction/Documents/webJunction/realm/test4-report.pdf>, which specifically looked at the attenuation of the virus in a stacked condition. From REALM’s description of the test 4 results:

“Four of the five items in Test 4 are similar book materials to Test 1, but in Test 4, these items were stacked to simulate their common storage configuration in bins and book drops and on shelves.”

We did not have a detailed conversation with the OHA staff about the specific working conditions in libraries. The main rationales that OHA expressed in advising a 24-hour quarantine were 1) the amount of viable virus being used in REALM, which OHA felt was higher than most real-life scenarios and 2) how much the viral load reduces after 24 hours, based in REALM’s results.

We definitely understand that the advice we received from OHA differs from other information libraries have been using to make decisions on local materials handling procedures. The working conditions and processes in different libraries vary widely, and there are good reasons why many of you may choose not to adopt the recommended 24-hour quarantine. However, we nonetheless hope that the advice is useful in making local decisions on materials handling.

One other point of interest: This advice was mentioned during a recent REALM Steering Committee meeting as a good example of how their study is contributing to discussions at the local level. I do not want to imply endorsement by REALM, but we were heartened to know that they appreciate that their results are being put to use.

I understand that these are not easy decisions to make, with the safety of patrons, staff, and volunteers at stake. It was only a couple of months ago that I was making decisions like these, too, in my previous position. They were some of some of the hardest decisions of my professional life! This is all to say, I greatly appreciate the thought and care all of you are putting into adapting your libraries’ practices in light of the pandemic, and I know that your patrons appreciate it, too. Thank you all for the work you’re doing!

Please feel free to ask me any other questions!

Cheers!

Buzzy Nielsen, MPP, MSI
Program Manager, Library Support & Development Services,
State Library of Oregon
Pronouns: he/him/his
buzzy.nielsen at state.or.us<mailto:buzzy.nielsen at state.or.us>  |  971-375-3486
www.oregon.gov/library/libraries<http://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries>