[Libs-Or] 2020 Mock Print - Invitation and List

Sonja Somerville SSomerville at cityofsalem.net
Fri Oct 30 15:30:31 PDT 2020

Do you like talking about books? Do you work with teens who like talking about books? We hope VERY MUCH you will join us for the Oregon Young Adult Network’s COMPLETELY VIRTUAL Oregon Mock Printz!
Using various features of the Zoom platform, we are planning an afternoon that is distant, safe, accessible, and so much fun!
YOU are invited! And teen readers are invited!
Mock Printz 2021
A Wild and Intense Afternoon of Book Discussions Ending with an Attempt to Guess which 2020 Release will Win ALA's Printz Award for Excellence in Young Adult Literature!
1-5 p.m. Saturday, January 16 | On Zoom
What do you have to do to get ready? Well - read. We ask participants to find and read all (or at least most) of the books on our carefully chosen Oregon's Mock Printz list. Our committee has finalized the list and here it is:
[cid:ada2547a-b056-4d83-ab8a-05b7b5d1e3b4]

  *   We Are Not From Here by Jenny Torres Sanchez #emigration #immigration #violence #survival #danger #hope
  *   The Magic Fish by Trung Le Nguyen #graphic novel #Vietnamese #family #LGBTQ #fairytales #beautiful #communication
  *   Not So Pure and Simple by Lamar Giles #sexuality #misogyny #malePOV #unrequitedlove #ownvoices #religion #peerpressure #humor
  *   Elatsoe by Darcie Little Badger #native #Texas #ghosts #vampires #elves #murdermystery #excitement #family #powercorrupts #ancestors #ownvoices
  *   Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You by Jason Reynolds and Ibram X Kendi #history #UnitedStates #perspective #freshvoice #engaging #informative
  *   Black Flamingo by Dean Atta #poetry #magic #queer #personofcolor #comingofage #originstory #British #gorgeous #insightful
  *   The Rise and Fall of Charles Lindbergh by Candace Fleming #superstars #cultofpersonality #influencers #tragedy #flawedhumans #legacy
  *   Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo #novelinverse #latinx #Dominican #secrets #tragedy #family #beautiful #resiliency

Topic: Teen readers. We enthusiastically value the participation of teen readers in the Mock Printz.  Teen participants have to be willing to read the books (or read most of the books) and then spend an afternoon talking intensively with other teens and adults about books. That's a "not for me" proposition for a lot of teens, but for just the right people, it is MAGICAL. So, ask around. Maybe you'll find a couple of students who are up for giving it a try!
Ready to sign up? We're ready for you. Fill in this Google Form to tell us you want to be a part of the 2021 Mock Printz - and ask any teen participants to sign up as well: https://forms.gle/HK35ENMJ1kGoCUPA9
[https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_vZPEA9rNHngjlDgzczYVFQjixETb76U57n3zj8dSiWxJzr1QY7wXwCitRPsEZ6cpf5phYA=w1200-h630-p]<https://forms.gle/HK35ENMJ1kGoCUPA9>
Mock Printz 2021 Registration<https://forms.gle/HK35ENMJ1kGoCUPA9>
Sign up here for: Mock Printz 2021 - A Wild and Intense Afternoon of Book Discussions Ending with an Attempt to Guess which 2020 Release will Win ALA's Printz Award for Excellence in Young Adult Literature! 1-5 p.m. Saturday, January 16 | On Zoom Please use this form to sign up to receive the Zoom access information by email the day before the event!
forms.gle

We hope to see and hear you on January 16. Please, if you have any questions, let me know!
Best,
Sonja Somerville, MLIS

Teen Services Senior Librarian

Pronouns: she/her/hers

City of Salem | Salem Public Library

585 Liberty St. SE, Salem, OR 97301

ssomerville at cityofsalem.net<mailto:ssomerville at cityofsalem.net> | 503-588-6083

Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/spl.oregon> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/spl.oregon/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuw7eUMqW0fgwHhj8h1EClQ> | Pinterest<https://www.pinterest.com/sploregon/pins/> | CityofSalem.net<https://www.cityofsalem.net/Pages/library.aspx>