[Libs-Or] Civics for Adults Update! Making smarter, more engaged citizens!! Libraries - if you haven't tried these, check out the testimonials!

dcohen at hevanet.com dcohen at hevanet.com
Wed Sep 2 14:03:24 PDT 2020

Civics for Adults Update, Sept 2, 2020

Best testimonial! - from Citizens Activism 101 - "Donna provided useful and
detailed information that was inspiring! It was in depth, but attainable. I,
also, liked the focus on local policies that affect us directly. She
encouraged me to be the activist that I have wanted be, but have stopped
myself from being. She said to start by doing something simple, but
courageous. Thank you for this gift."

Civics for Adults has gone virtual!

Workshops are available for presentation online! The format is a PPT

presentation/lecture of one+ hour, followed by a question/discussion time.

Below:

*	Upcoming workshops
*	testimonials from the hillsboro PL virtual workshops
*	some posts from the civics for adults' facebook page

Upcoming Workshops! [As of 9/2/2020. Please check my website for the latest
updates!  <http://www.civicthinker.info> www.civicthinker.info ]

Misinformation, Fake News and Political Propaganda

September 23. 6-7:30 Sponsored by Aloha Public Library. Preregistration
required:  <https://wccls.bibliocommons.com/events/5f45bbe367ac023a0081808d>
https://wccls.bibliocommons.com/events/5f45bbe367ac023a0081808d

October 22. Time TBA. Sponsored by League of Women Voters - Umpqua. Will
allow out of district registration within time TBA of the event.
Registration info TBA.

Beyond Voting: Elections and Campaign Financing

October 6. 6:30-8:00 Sponsored by Bethany Community Library. Will allow out
of district registration within ten [10] days of the event. Registration
info TBA.

The Constitution: Fulfilling Democracy's Promise?

October 15, 6:00-7:30 Sponsored by Sherwood Public Library. Open
registration. Registration link TBA.

Citizen Activism 101-Making Change Happen
None scheduled right now.

A downloadable descriptive flyer is available on my website.

 <https://cdn-cms.f-static.net/uploads/2516289/normal_5ef7d00a31df4.pdf>
https://cdn-cms.f-static.net/uploads/2516289/normal_5ef7d00a31df4.pdf

Testimonials from NEW VIRTUAL Civics for Adults workshops!

Misinformation, Fake News and Political Propaganda

Thank you, Donna. I learn something new with every one of your classes.

EVERYONE should want to see your presentation.

Thanks. Great presentation!

Fantastic!

Thank you so much. I look forward to more classes.

Citizen Activism

Great job!

Thank you for another wonderful session today, Donna. My four years to date
as an American citizen have been an incredible immersion in living history.
Your presentations have been so helpful in my attempts to understand the
background and underside of what has formed and held the country together
for so long.

I learned a great deal, and came out with ideas for expanding my
participation in my role as citizen and enthusiasm for doing so.

Thank you for not only sharing the multitude of resources, but providing a
refresher on the levels of government and affirming that activism can take
place at any level, but has a direct impact at the local level.

[My favorite!! - ] Donna provided useful and detailed information that was
inspiring! It was in depth, but attainable. I, also, liked the focus on
local policies that affect us directly. She encouraged me to be the activist
that I have wanted be, but have stopped myself from being. She said to start
by doing something simple, but courageous. Thank you for this gift.

Great slides, so full of information!

This is an inspiring course that encourages personal participation in
community and political affairs, with much useful guidance for become
involved. This kind of Civics education is an important component in
developing the well-informed electorate so essential to the existence of
democracy.

So much useful information! I'd love to take it again. Thank you for your
enthusiastic presentation. I really appreciate the resources too.

Love these classes, always learn something new and useful to add to my
activism toolbox!

Thanks for a lot of good information, many resources and encouragement to
act.

It should be gloriously available to EVERYONE!

Thank you, very helpful information and links.

Constitution

You gave us a lot to think about! Good job presenting in a non-partisan way.
I'm looking forward to next week's class.

The workshop was "was motivating and instructive."

In this time of quarantine and virtual schooling, I would think school
districts everywhere would welcome this thoughtful, eye opening,
non-partisan workshop into their curriculum. Are school districts aware this
workshop exists?

You packed so much into this workshop--and there's so much more to explore!
Thank you for encouraging us to consider solutions and read some of the
ideas that are already out there so we can talk about alternatives to how we
are represented now.

This is a very good workshop and I enjoyed it and learned a lot.

Donna, it's perfect! You're so knowledgeable, and such a great teacher!
THANK YOU!

Elections

Thank you so much! You rock Donna! Your work is so important!

This was a very informative and thought-provoking workshop. The information
was presented in a well-organized and clear way. The list of resources
should help with filling in missed parts.

Excellent lessons.

Donna, all your training, plus your love of teaching, have come together to
create a most wonderful, necessary program. THANK YOU!

Because your resource pages are packed with great info, it took me a few
days to get to the bottom. THANKS for allowing us to share with attribution.

Truly valuable information. So glad I found out about these workshops and
was able to enroll. Thank you for making this available.

Pace is good, content is solid & the resource list is especially
appreciated.

Sampling of Facebook posts

If you missed PBS' 4-hour show "Reconstruction" about the history of seeking
rights by/for African-Americans during and after the Reconstruction era,
it's time well spent.
<https://www.pbs.org/weta/reconstruction/?fbclid=IwAR3HkFLE1DKjYrEefWayq9aL2
ocOuBTqP-AMoeHnssYw9FyT_64wsBDU7Zk> https://www.pbs.org/weta/reconstruction/

Oregon's own Oregon Historical Society presents, this coming week. The Post
Office: Past, Present, Future? Presented by Richard R. John. Virtual Program
via Zoom. Free and open to the public.
Thursday, September 3, 2020
<https://ohs.org/events/the-post-office-past-present-future.cfm?fbclid=IwAR1
sFcWzA36AOXivOpT_hN3HQzDZDAvfupYjEqaWH3guZYrLJp-2XPoNSAE>
https://ohs.org/events/the-post-office-past-present-future.cfm?fbclid=IwAR1s
FcWzA36AOXivOpT_hN3HQzDZDAvfupYjEqaWH3guZYrLJp-2XPoNSAE

Hulu deepfaked its new ad. It won't be the last. "Deepfake" videos are now
becoming legit. Here's how one company created a commercial using the
technology - and with permission of the person they artificially inserted!
<https://www.protocol.com/hulu-deepfake-commercial-ai?fbclid=IwAR2sNy50Xheur
KygxypsngRYClSQbqoCe0dxwDw869_oJYP9VwBKUV6vskI>
https://www.protocol.com/hulu-deepfake-commercial-ai?fbclid=IwAR2sNy50XheurK
ygxypsngRYClSQbqoCe0dxwDw869_oJYP9VwBKUV6vskI

Did you miss the Congressional Hearings with Postmaster General Louis DeJoy?
Here is the one held by the Senate:
<https://www.hsgac.senate.gov/examining-the-finances-and-operations-of-the-u
nited-states-postal-service-during-covid-19-and-upcoming-elections?fbclid=Iw
AR08l0PNtIKS7o6mhOqrK7x4UhsYjyj2RvFBepLqZlVLmoon70sm9PswamM>
https://www.hsgac.senate.gov/examining-the-finances-and-operations-of-the-un
ited-states-postal-service-during-covid-19-and-upcoming-elections?fbclid=IwA
R08l0PNtIKS7o6mhOqrK7x4UhsYjyj2RvFBepLqZlVLmoon70sm9PswamM

Don't forget. Extensive Resource Lists are created for my workshops. Anyone
can download them. Feel free to use with attribution.
<https://www.civicthinker.info/resources>
https://www.civicthinker.info/resources

Donna

Donna L Cohen, MLIS, MEd

Portland, Oregon

503-737-1425

dcohen at hevanet.com <mailto:dcohen at hevanet.com>

Civics for Adults - and Others - Workshops: To Enhance Civic Knowledge and
Inspire Political Engagement

Webpage www.civicthinker.info <http://www.civicthinker.info>

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/

"My philosophy is very simple. When you see something that is not fair, not
right, not just - stand up, say something, speak up!" Rep. John Lewis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6lzPpqc2WY