[Libs-Or] Tech-Talk: EXCEL/G-Sheets – Inserting a BLOCK of Rows or Columns

HANNING Darci C * SLO Darci.HANNING at slo.oregon.gov
Wed Apr 21 08:07:18 PDT 2021

Greetings and welcome to the latest issue of Tech-Talk!

Having trouble reading this email?
You can view the tech tip<https://www.tech-talk.com/excel-inserting-a-block-of-rows-or-columns.html>, the communication tip<https://www.tech-talk.com/to-tell-the-truth.html>, and the leadership tip<https://www.tech-talk.com/how-these-job-description-exercises-can-be-useful.html> online instead!
When prompted for a username and password, use ORLIBTECH for both.
Did you know that you can add many rows or columns at the same time?

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/470df2da-b8fb-4b32-95fb-8f6331e9910d.png]

This Week's Topic: EXCEL / Google Sheets

1. ARTICLE & VIDEO ... Inserting a BLOCK of Rows or Columns
2. COMMUNICATING ... "To tell the truth..."
3. LEADERSHIP ... How these job description exercises can be useful

4. WEBINARS ...
·     Apr 28: Discover Windows 10's Paint and Paint 3D Graphic Tools
·     May 12: Create a Video from Your PowerPoint Presentation
·     May 26: Create Charts to Display Data in Excel and G-Sheets

Register for Webinars<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0013PMn6jq37Gf8lDSB0z7Bp_bIeqeyAdmRoi78rapBB0tYHfMT9cU7vV4l_eQ7tkudwOfpEqdB4YywRxc9ezkDiUJpGzPRDUGfnlPdoftCU9jZ7p4zdTTr10qu828XbUhDPSD_QpcYfx3WBzqawktrBJUux8roSg_b&c=PDEEx80nXHf7REJAzhAg0m1v9Fxq7vBlZOi2bJhYe4BCc5cTfjLkIA==&ch=30DnInccixH1ekzn9FCyIqll5mrCLW5MB2ckqb-tEmt_tXphbUNlAg==>

[insert blow of rows]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0013PMn6jq37Gf8lDSB0z7Bp_bIeqeyAdmRoi78rapBB0tYHfMT9cU7vTSjdhxzoIBB3GW6E9XXsB-3roBF9IjCVGANzgk_N-87b1KAqiCHhMjMYsx2_FaR5JYgr5CcoVvScLCAL__vxw5OGuftVqu-bTlqjeCCpOKRKFTE4dcvYdwnjuCoFNPeyWk_9yLkz3tf3EQBSU6B1g2Dn0AtbZiplA==&c=PDEEx80nXHf7REJAzhAg0m1v9Fxq7vBlZOi2bJhYe4BCc5cTfjLkIA==&ch=30DnInccixH1ekzn9FCyIqll5mrCLW5MB2ckqb-tEmt_tXphbUNlAg==>

Cole Keister<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0013PMn6jq37Gf8lDSB0z7Bp_bIeqeyAdmRoi78rapBB0tYHfMT9cU7vTSjdhxzoIBBHYVdICi1LUj8bXjwW5CEpF2SdPu999fPRJNIEpr6I-WupfE_nDp0_rVfGVwb46w0I-FNpVKL5jK4cOeTM0b-29k0PjRio0zPQ_SROCOguil-Pddf9zV0wgv94eKrXiNKLfAfXqd0r5zCU1GeGPcusjOFIMVh0TJlVIvHu0eiyLqw9cX6MIVwsUtzrosmLexm&c=PDEEx80nXHf7REJAzhAg0m1v9Fxq7vBlZOi2bJhYe4BCc5cTfjLkIA==&ch=30DnInccixH1ekzn9FCyIqll5mrCLW5MB2ckqb-tEmt_tXphbUNlAg==> on Unsplash<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0013PMn6jq37Gf8lDSB0z7Bp_bIeqeyAdmRoi78rapBB0tYHfMT9cU7vec2fzZ3gQ7BX9EhM2WmtRl7N3c7G2cEwanIPhKPQCIRc6I6CBDwim5z89615NkVVR_chozoGWUm9tWmMSOhMZqFeemHyoPGEGu_vksXsesj5BiCVHS_wDikSfWpl0qBtpQyw1TKN_e5M0nloLauEhEEkjYZjaUrH6slxjU-iHOwKBj3i46VW4BXQDLSCAKBl_Yfyxgx4a8gdABsLbhcRbhf0vqoojubxw==&c=PDEEx80nXHf7REJAzhAg0m1v9Fxq7vBlZOi2bJhYe4BCc5cTfjLkIA==&ch=30DnInccixH1ekzn9FCyIqll5mrCLW5MB2ckqb-tEmt_tXphbUNlAg==>

Brought To You By State Library of Oregon

[State of Oregon]
Visit Tech-Talk.com Website<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0013PMn6jq37Gf8lDSB0z7Bp_bIeqeyAdmRoi78rapBB0tYHfMT9cU7vZllYZsahwtCnjbGX_HluuNkMJJRkK9XD_f1mBAzOQu79DHH4qMmFhctERPyhw2hJ69-Uz4oh-mwITPkl2OrYF2ychP_Q_yDcmc-vF76koF1&c=PDEEx80nXHf7REJAzhAg0m1v9Fxq7vBlZOi2bJhYe4BCc5cTfjLkIA==&ch=30DnInccixH1ekzn9FCyIqll5mrCLW5MB2ckqb-tEmt_tXphbUNlAg==>

Username: ORLIBTECH
Password: ORLIBTECH

Questions about Tech-Talk?
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>

Excel / Google-Sheets - Inserting a BLOCK of Rows or Columns
Novice

I needed to insert ten new rows in a spreadsheet that I was using to track the expenses for a project. So of course I went through the process to add a new row. I put my cursor in a cell and on the Home tab clicked Insert, then Insert Sheet Rows. And then I repeated those steps nine more times.

Hmmm… a bit tedious and time-consuming.

Guess what! Did you know that when you need to add a number of new rows or columns into your spreadsheet, you don't need to do each one individually?

There's a better way. Insert them all at once. And no matter if you use Excel or Google Sheets – it works in both!

Excel: Insert a Block of Rows or Columns

To Insert Multiple ROWS:

·     Place your cursor in any cell in the row above which you'd like to insert the block of new rows.

·     Drag your cursor down through the spreadsheet until you have highlighted the number of rows that you would like to insert. For instance, if you want to insert five new rows, highlight five rows in your spreadsheet.

·     From the Home tab go to Insert, Insert Sheet Rows (or Right-click and choose Insert).

·     NOTE: If you highlighted the whole ROW, the new rows will automatically be added. If you highlighted only one cell, you have one more step. In the box that opens, select Entire row.

·     A new block of empty rows will appear in your spreadsheet directly above the rows that you highlighted.

[insert row]

To Insert a Block of COLUMNS:

·     Place your cursor in any cell of the column before which you'd like to insert the block.

·     Drag your cursor across the spreadsheet until you have highlighted the number of columns that you would like to insert. For instance, if you want to insert five new columns, highlight five columns in your spreadsheet.

·     From the Home menu go to Insert, Insert Sheet Columns (or Right-click and choose Insert).

·     NOTE: If you highlighted the whole COLUMN, the new columns will automatically be added. If you highlighted only one cell, you have one more step. In the box that opens, select Entire column.

·     A new block of empty columns will appear in your spreadsheet directly to the right of the columns that you highlighted.

[insert columns]

Google Sheets: Insert a Block of Rows or Columns

This works exactly the same way in Google Sheets.

[add rows]

To Insert a Block of ROWS:

·     Highlight the number of rows you want to add (if you want to add 5 rows, highlight 5 of them).

·     Go to the Insert menu and it will display the number of rows you highlighted. For example, since we specified five rows, it shows 5 Rows above or 5 Rows below.

·     The new rows will be added based on your selection.

To Insert a Block of COLUMNS:

·     Highlight the number of columns you want to add (if you want to add 5 columns, highlight 5 of them).

·     Go to the Insert menu and it will display the number of columns you highlighted. Again, for example, since we specified five columns, it shows 5 Columns left or 5 Columns right.

·     The new columns will be added to the spreadsheet based on your selection.

[add columns]

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/41d9a61c-7e5a-4de3-b0a4-4021dd05cea3.png]

Communicating: Talking
"To tell the truth..."

You're talking with a friend or colleague and you hear, "To tell the truth, I'm not crazy about the idea."

Or "I'm not going to lie, I'd much rather go today than tomorrow." or "To be honest, I think the other one looks better."

Well, well, well (you think when you hear these disclaimers), 'Then sometimes you are NOT being honest or telling the truth?'

While many of us slip into these phrases thinking we are emphasizing the truth of our statement, the reality is that it puts doubt in people's minds.

If you want to be seen as straightforward and not telling lies, don't tell them you're being honest and truthful. Let them assume you are!

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/da1c6ee9-ba35-4af5-9c80-8e1b5781189e.png]

Leadership
How these job description exercises can be useful
(Job Description Series, Part 3)

If you've been following this Job Description series of articles, you: 1) listed all the different things you do<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0013PMn6jq37Gf8lDSB0z7Bp_bIeqeyAdmRoi78rapBB0tYHfMT9cU7vXkPtJf4gvZxJ7YRB4GSLN2BWcx2wJtq2TMZ-gRRjbBuFZyqIpnhVOzw7MHfnL0H0gBnKe-ZbFXA-iKLQZtGJeRTJ6FQfNEHg_38MUJYLFqZ-ss1bEW-XQ15khgDpz2C1Gvq9sxx8pjv&c=PDEEx80nXHf7REJAzhAg0m1v9Fxq7vBlZOi2bJhYe4BCc5cTfjLkIA==&ch=30DnInccixH1ekzn9FCyIqll5mrCLW5MB2ckqb-tEmt_tXphbUNlAg==> in your job, and 2) grouped them into two or three buckets <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0013PMn6jq37Gf8lDSB0z7Bp_bIeqeyAdmRoi78rapBB0tYHfMT9cU7vTSjdhxzoIBB4EkJWIwptEECgo-imWxaXVuiVWWbBJM_Wb_IweWxh7gk4lE1NJapXWutGSbyJzLcvERts69BTegX4V2sc4AN9khOrZo05PJIBsSjP0uxJcvwYVCBt4L4GQ==&c=PDEEx80nXHf7REJAzhAg0m1v9Fxq7vBlZOi2bJhYe4BCc5cTfjLkIA==&ch=30DnInccixH1ekzn9FCyIqll5mrCLW5MB2ckqb-tEmt_tXphbUNlAg==> with a name.

How, you may ask, are these exercises useful?

Job descriptions come in handy in several different ways. Sure, one is when you're hiring ... filling a new position. Of course, you want to advertise specifically what an individual will be responsible for doing so that you attract the right candidate.

Another strong use of a good job description process is to clarify and focus the work one is asked to do so that everyone can be more productive. This helps the organization thrive.

When folks know what is expected of them ... and there is agreement ... everyone benefits, right?

TIP: If you've done the two previous exercises (listed all you do and clumped them together under an appropriate heading) ... and the person you report to understands and supports these boundaries ...then when you're asked to do another task, you'll know if: 1) it fits with your job description so you are willing to accept it; 2) the task needs to be given to someone else with a better fit; or 3) your job description needs to be modified.

The good news -- you'll all be on the same page making work life more pleasant, peaceful and productive.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b13a7a6a-7445-4d8e-b741-4b475385ef5b.png]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0013PMn6jq37Gf8lDSB0z7Bp_bIeqeyAdmRoi78rapBB0tYHfMT9cU7vePLLVV2f-U8afurcFtf9kFn9geBa7Luooyywjh742xlBUJwdWFNUNhJWkzeJeZsQpgsZn2MlRlsiVeO1jxBUlXEc-xC6yPaOajFrVwQXM4U&c=PDEEx80nXHf7REJAzhAg0m1v9Fxq7vBlZOi2bJhYe4BCc5cTfjLkIA==&ch=30DnInccixH1ekzn9FCyIqll5mrCLW5MB2ckqb-tEmt_tXphbUNlAg==>
[Ask a question]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0013PMn6jq37Gf8lDSB0z7Bp_bIeqeyAdmRoi78rapBB0tYHfMT9cU7vZnxTyxBAx3skEP31euvAi2CBsK3bJlbR0lDReqEPURx3pQtI-Nro9gB-5IPjAd6V3MEC675XOmLM7doGSgr3IsZwYuCAreaMNA--hLVHm9oZCZY7bg6ZLQ=&c=PDEEx80nXHf7REJAzhAg0m1v9Fxq7vBlZOi2bJhYe4BCc5cTfjLkIA==&ch=30DnInccixH1ekzn9FCyIqll5mrCLW5MB2ckqb-tEmt_tXphbUNlAg==>

Copyright 1996-2021 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Distribution is limited by license. For information on how to include additional recipients, contact support at tech-talk.com<mailto:support at tech-talk.com> 941-355-2092.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS (she/her/hers)
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
State Library of Oregon
darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> | 971-375-3491
www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/playlists>
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted

[cid:image001.png at 01D73685.038B4C90]