[Libs-Or] Fwd: Kairos takes on racist apps, Tech and Policing, COVID-19 misinformation on Facebook, and disinformation.

Max Macias max.macias at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 09:30:04 PDT 2021

FYI

Max

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Granate Kim, Kairos <info at kairosfellows.org>
Date: Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 9:16 AM
Subject: Kairos takes on racist apps, Tech and Policing, COVID-19
misinformation on Facebook, and disinformation.
To: Max Macias <max.macias at gmail.com>

Kairos is bringing heat and peeling back the curtain as tech companies aim
to bulldoze our rights to privacy and safety in the digital realm.
‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌
‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌
‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌
‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌
‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌

<https://act.kairosfellows.org/go/534?t=14&akid=499%2E27716%2E0r04LE>

Hi Max,

Kairos is bringing heat and peeling back the curtain as tech companies aim
to bulldoze our rights to privacy and safety in the digital realm. Read on
to see what the team has been up to with your help!

*With a focus on tech and racial justice, we’re holding the popular Citizen
App accountable for spreading fear and fueling racist policing.*

*  <https://act.kairosfellows.org/go/3595?t=20&akid=499%2E27716%2E0r04LE>*

See our recent op-ed in FastCompany: False arrest, racial profiling: Why
the Citizen app is a threat to vulnerable communities
<https://act.kairosfellows.org/go/3595?t=21&akid=499%2E27716%2E0r04LE>.

*If you haven’t already, sign the petition to kick Citizen out of the Apple
App Store.
<https://act.kairosfellows.org/sign/Apple-ban-citizen-app_copy/?t=22&akid=499%2E27716%2E0r04LE>
They did it once when Citizen was named Vigilante and they can do it again.*

*Tech & Policing: 1 Year Later  *

<https://act.kairosfellows.org/go/3596?t=23&akid=499%2E27716%2E0r04LE>

To mark the one-year anniversary of the police killing of George Floyd,
Kairos brought together a panel of experts from Data for Black Lives, the
ACLU, ACRE, and Fight for the Future to talk about the relationship between
technology and policing. Attended by journalists, racial justice activists,
and tech accountability allies, we facilitated a much-needed conversation
on the growing role that tech plays in biased and racist policing.

Missed the panel?
*Click here to watch it on YouTube.
<https://act.kairosfellows.org/go/3596?t=24&akid=499%2E27716%2E0r04LE>*

*Keeping the pressure on Facebook ...*

<https://act.kairosfellows.org/sign/Facebook-stop-covid19-disinfo_copy/?t=25&akid=499%2E27716%2E0r04LE>

We’re holding Mark Zuckerberg accountable. He pledged to stop
misinformation from spreading about COVID-19 on Facebook. Yet right-wing
extremists are *still* spewing anti-vaccine conspiracy theories and putting
everyone’s health in danger.

*Sign our petition to pressure Zuckerberg to stop the spread of vaccine
disinformation.*
<https://act.kairosfellows.org/sign/Facebook-stop-covid19-disinfo_copy/?t=26&akid=499%2E27716%2E0r04LE>

*Tackling Disinformation*

Kairos is training 40 organizers from 26 organizations from over a dozen
states (see below!) to fight disinformation in the digital realm. From July
through October, Kairos will train primarily Black and brown organizers in
digital skills that will help stop the onslaught of disinformation that is
endangering our communities.

*Thanks to your partnership, we’ve leveled up our work in tech
accountability, racial justice, and democracy.* *If you can, make a
donation today to help support this important work by clicking here.*
<https://act.kairosfellows.org/go/3532?t=27&akid=499%2E27716%2E0r04LE>

Until tech works for all,

Granate Kim, Kairos Campaign Manager

<https://act.kairosfellows.org/go/1?t=15&akid=499%2E27716%2E0r04LE>
<https://act.kairosfellows.org/go/2?t=16&akid=499%2E27716%2E0r04LE>

------------------------------

Together, we’re fighting for a world where technology advances racial,
social, and economic justice. To do this, Kairos builds leaders, supports
organizations, and advocates for tech and platform accountability.

Will you chip in to support the fight for a world where technology works
for all of us?

Become a monthly donor
<https://secure.actblue.com/donate/kairos-fellowship?recurring=24&amount=10&refcode2=499_27716_0r04LE&akid=499%2E27716%2E0r04LE>

Make a one-time contribution
<https://secure.actblue.com/donate/kairos-fellowship?amount=10&refcode2=499_27716_0r04LE&akid=499%2E27716%2E0r04LE>

Kairos Fellowship is a fiscally sponsored project of Allied Media Project,
a 501(c)3 organization, so your donation is tax-deductible to the full
extent provided by law. This email was sent to max.macias at gmail.com on Aug.
9, 2021. You’re receiving this email because you expressed an interest in
Kairos, where we are building political power and holding tech accountable.
  You can unsubscribe from this list at any time by clicking here.

-
Max Macias [image: A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in
email signature] <https://www.name-coach.com/max-macias>
*Pronouns: | He, Him, His |*
*Strengths:* Input, Ideation, Context, Connectedness, Intellection

Social media is mind control.

The ideas expressed in these emails in no way represent any organization's
viewpoints, or opinions.  The opinions, ideas and reflections are my own
personal intellectual property.

Publishing

Lowrider Librarian <http://lowriderlibrarian.blogspot.com/>
Librarians With Spines  <https://www.librarianswithspines.com/>