[Libs-Or] ALA's Libraries Transforming Communities Small & Rural Libraries grants

Stephanie Chase acornsandnuts at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 15:59:00 PST 2021

Thank you so much to our colleagues here in Oregon for sharing about their
Libraries Transforming Communities grant-winning ideas! I hope you enjoyed
the inspiration that came from so many different projects receiving funding
:)

If you missed the original flurry of posts, *applications for ALA's
Libraries Transforming Communities grant program for small and rural
libraries* (
http://www.ala.org/tools/librariestransform/libraries-transforming-communities/focusgrants/libraries)
*are open for the second round until March 4*, and ALA is hoping to see
more applications from the western states. The grant has a very simple
application and very minimal reporting requirements, and public, academic,
and school libraries are all eligible to apply.

To apply, a library must either serve a population of 25,000 or less
(small) or be more than 5 miles from an urbanized area of 25,000 or more
(rural). Individual branches in a system or district are eligible to apply,
as long as they meet one of the criteria above. That's almost all of us!

The premise is that, if the library is awarded the grant, a staff member
(or multiple) takes part in an online course designed for small and rural
libraries on holding a community conversation (about 4 hours), and that the
library agrees to host one community conversation, which can be virtual,
using the model. Conversations for the second round are asked to be
completed by October 31, so there's plenty of time if you hope to hold your
conversation in person, and the success of your grant isn't based on how
many people take part.

The grant provides access to the training and $3000 to spend on something
related to the conversation -- and that could be ANYTHING, from staff time
to books to a Zoom license to hotspots to circulate to a traveling
makerspace kit... I think your imagination is the only barrier.

If you have more questions, feel free to reach out to me, Stephanie Chase,
the Executive Director of the Libraries of Eastern Oregon (
director at librariesofeasternoregon.org) or directly to ALA for a 20-minute
consultation (
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScDPcFtf2D3J5FWYKaL_jY0tNkFgCVkBogAswnIgoMENCOs9w/viewform).
The grant program's website has lots of resources, including sample
proposals. I am also holding two Zoom Q&A sessions, on *Tuesday, February
16 from 1 to 2pm* and *Thursday, February 18 from 9 to 10am*, if you would
like to ask questions or share ideas. The Zoom info is below.

Stephanie Chase
Executive Director, Libraries of Eastern Oregon

*LTC Grant Drop In Q&A sessionTuesday, February 16 from 1 to 2pm*
https://zoom.us/j/99020426995?pwd=K0owY2JxYnhvc1JMVGJ4eFlwVzVpdz09
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://zoom.us/j/99020426995?pwd%3DK0owY2JxYnhvc1JMVGJ4eFlwVzVpdz09&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw1KRJ25zsXSBmGFHdKGdNC4>
Meeting ID: 990 2042 6995 Passcode: 794723 Dial by your location +1 669 900
6833 US (San Jose) +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

*LTC Grant Drop In Q&A session*
*Thursday, February 18 from 9 to 10am*
https://zoom.us/j/99950549733?pwd=R1kxUW9MMUV2c2d3SlpWdWN2L2U5QT09
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://zoom.us/j/99950549733?pwd%3DR1kxUW9MMUV2c2d3SlpWdWN2L2U5QT09&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw1zU3snbdxAkZZnJHB0fMsi>
Meeting ID: 999 5054 9733 Passcode: 451717 Dial by your location +1 253 215
8782 US (Tacoma) +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)