[Libs-Or] OLA 2021 Library Legislative Day: *ALL* library supporters invited to make appointments with legislators!

Sue Ludington, OLA Legislative Committee Chair ldlcchair at olaweb.org
Wed Feb 24 12:22:32 PST 2021

Greetings, Libs-or,

While we’ve been actively promoting the event to Oregon Library Association
(OLA) members, I neglected to send a message to the wider library community
regarding *OLA’s upcoming Library Legislative Week*. My sincerest apologies
for the oversight!

A brief introduction: "Library Legislative Day" is an OLA tradition, where
members typically travel to the state capital in Salem – we’ve historically
picked a day in February – for one-on-one meetings with their legislators
where they share library success stories and talk about any relevant
legislation.

With the majority of Oregon Legislature activity happening remotely, many
groups are choosing not to hold legislative days at all…but OLA is!

We originally scheduled *Library Legislative Week for March 1-5* (yep,
that’s next week!) but in light of current pandemic conditions, not to
mention the ice storm which derailed a number of communications last week,
we agreed that *encouraging folks to make appointments **any time during
March** would be acceptable*.

If you’re not an OLA member but would like to participate, *you are highly
encouraged*! OLA created a *sign-up sheet*, which includes contact
information for each legislator. Please take a look, follow the
instructions on the first tab, and reach out to your House and Senate
legislator(s) to set up an appointment:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dYc0KIPg-twVFi7gSnLxlxzyzMK1bSWrFYcQIAA5x9w/edit?usp=sharing

OLA's Library Development and Legislation Committee (LDLC) has developed a
few tools to help too; check out the LDLC website
<https://www.olaweb.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=199>
for links to a *video simulating a legislator meeting*, as well as
1-page "*issue
briefs*" for the 3 bills that OLA is supporting, along with a "*Template
for Advocacy Communication with Public Officials*" downloadable and
customizable document.

In addition, there will be a *brief training on Monday*!

   - TITLE: "*LDLC Legislative Advocacy Training: Prepare to Talk to Your
   Legislator!*"
   - DAY: Monday, March 1
   - TIME: 11:30am-12:00pm
   - PRESENTERS: Nicole Mann, OLA Lobbyist, and Sue Ludington, OLA-LDLC
   Chair

Virtual meeting invitation details will be shared via an email on Friday,
and will be posted on the LDLC website
<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/e3a1bfe8-77bb-4209-b0c0-f0b54fc57496/3>
the
day before the training. The webinar will also be *recorded and available
for later viewing*.

Need ideas about *how to make that first point of contact *with your
legislator? An *email example *is pasted below this message. If you’d like
more help, please *don’t hesitate to contact me *directly.

We truly rely on all of our library employees, partners, Friends and
Foundation members, and community supporters to make sure legislators are
aware of the great things libraries do for Oregonians. Thank you for
stepping up to speak with your legislator today!

Best,
Sue
*****
*Sue Ludington*
Library Development & Legislative Committee, Chair 2020-2021
Oregon Library Association
ldlcchair at olaweb.org
541-682-4337 (w)
503-754-4653 (h)
Pronouns: she/her

*Dear Senator Prozanski,*

*I’m a librarian and I work at the Lane County Law Library, which serves a
large number of constituents from your district. As a member of the Oregon
Library Association
<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/114dbebf-a118-4410-b6c7-f61ab3921666/6>
(OLA),
I’m reaching out to request an appointment with you as part of OLA’s
“Library Legislative Week,” which we have targeted for the first week of
March.*

*I’d love to have a few minutes to talk about Oregon libraries and share
all the great things our Law Library has been doing, especially during the
pandemic.*

*This is short notice, but might you have time one day next week for a
15-20 minute appointment? I’d be happy to set up the virtual meeting via
Zoom, if that would be helpful.*

*If you have no availability between March 1-5, please feel free to suggest
another day later that month; I should be able to easily accommodate.*

*May I anticipate a reply within a week or so? I’ll be glad to follow up
with a phone call, if needed.*

*Thank you very much for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you!*

*Sincerely,*

*Sue Ludington*

*Law Librarian, Lane County Law Library*

*sue.ludington at lanecountyor.gov <sue.ludington at lanecountyor.gov> |
541.682.4337*