[Libs-Or] State Library Newsletter: Letter to Libraries Online (January 2021)

HENDERSON Joel * SLO Joel.HENDERSON at slo.oregon.gov
Wed Jan 6 10:54:37 PST 2021

View this email in your browser<https://us11.campaign-archive.com/?e=__test_email__&u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=34787c3bb4>
[https://mcusercontent.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/f689e3a8-b2f6-42be-b6d9-b5fd379ba695.jpg]
Volume 31, Issue 1 - January 2021

[https://mcusercontent.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/41de08af-5620-4aae-a908-8d395699f2f3.jpg]

State Library Building Remains Closed
UPDATE: Along with most state agency buildings, the State Library building remains closed to the public. The building closure has been extended until further notice. We will provide an update once we have a scheduled building reopening date.

Although the State Library building is closed, we continue to provide a full range of services. Please contact us<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=a985f626f9&e=0d2401e925> with any service requests or questions.

[https://mcusercontent.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/87dc4a86-d7ea-431d-b1aa-f364f85d2794.jpg]

Abyssinia, Single-Title Cartridges
[empty shelves]The ascension of Alexandria Gutenberg (that's the fun name we've given our new customized cartridges system) has signaled the beginning of the end for our old physical collection.  Throughout November and December we boxed up and waved goodbye to well over half of our single-title cartridges, and by the end of this month all our once stuffed stacks will be bare.  This part of the process definitely lends permanence to our transition to Duplication on Demand, though it will make tours of our office a lot shorter (we'll have to embellish some).

Now, many of you may be wondering: what will Shirley our stacks ghost do now that she can't knock books off shelves anymore?  Well, if anyone knows of stacks somewhere that could use a friendly ghost to do a bit of haunting, please let us know.

[https://mcusercontent.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/375b80ad-033f-469a-9b14-543504990cc9.jpg]

Topic Talks from the State Library
[silhouettse of a group with word bubbles above them]Shared Learning: Providing Trauma-Informed Services in Small and Rural Libraries

How can staff in small and rural libraries adopt a trauma-informed approach without access to the resources that a larger library or a library in an urban community may have? That's just what several Oregon librarians set out to learn by participating in a recent online Infopeople course, "Providing Trauma-Informed Services in Small and Rural Libraries." Come listen to their take-aways and hopefully leave with some of your own!

No registration required, just join us via computer or phone on January 13 at 2:00pm:

Zoom link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86208627126  or join by phone: 669-900-6833 US (San Jose) or 253-215-8782 US (Tacoma) with Meeting ID: 862 0862 7126

Missed a recent Topic Talk? You can find recordings here<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted#s-lib-ctab-24120710-1>, listed under PREVIOUS TOPIC TALKS.

[https://mcusercontent.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/e9505978-5d86-4b52-ab35-ec66590034f3.jpg]

Are You Ready for the 2021 Legislative Session?
[Golden Pioneer statue]Swearing in/organizational days on the 2021 legislative session calendar<https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/chief-clerk/Documents/2021LegislativeSessionCalendar_Vertical.pdf> are scheduled for, Monday January 11, 2021, and run through Friday, January 15.  However, the real action begins on Tuesday, January 19 with the start of session.

This regular annual session may not exceed 160 calendar days without a vote to extend. This means the targeted data for "sine die" or adjournment for the 2021 session is on Sunday, June 27, although the "targeted" conclusion is scheduled for Friday, June 18, 2021.

The Oregon Legislative information System<https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/> or OLIS<https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/>, will help you monitor bills of particular interest after the bills are introduced.  You can also choose to receive updates on specific bills, committee agendas, legislative news or even communications from any member by using the eSubscribe<https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/citizen_engagement/Pages/e-Subscribe.aspx> service.

Live video feeds of committee public hearings, work sessions, floor debates and floor votes are also available. Particularly useful is the easy access to testimony presented by interested parties at public hearings. OLIS<https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/> is your one-stop resource for legislative information.

The Legislature's main site<https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/> contains links to legislative research, "background briefs," mandated reports, as well as publications from both the Legislative Fiscal and Legislative Revenue offices.

To start at square one, you may wish to begin by reviewing the Governor's Recommended budget for 2021-23.  An announcement and summary of the Governor's recommended budget is available via the State of Oregon Newsroom<https://www.oregon.gov/newsroom/Pages/NewsDetail.aspx?newsid=53818#:~:text=The%20Governor's%20Recommended%20Budget%20for,position%20to%20meet%20future%20challenges.>.  A copy of the full budget document is
is available HERE<https://www.oregon.gov/das/financial/documents/2021-23_gb.pdf>.

A couple of extra tips.  First, an easy way to quickly review a legislator's voting record in chamber is to use the Oregonian's, Your Government<https://gov.oregonlive.com/> resource. A caveat however, this resource has not been updated since the 2020 1st Special Session.  Hopefully it is once again populated with current data as the 2021 session gets underway.  Second, use OLIS<https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/> to review how members vote in committee as they may vote differently on the floor than in a committee work session.

This session is likely to be conducted in quite a different manner than usual due to the COVID-19 pandemic. For example, the submission of testimony and access to public hearings will likely be entirely remote. So, you may need to rely on electronic resources more than ever to keep on top of events.  In any case, we are looking forward to an interesting and productive session.

[https://mcusercontent.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/41c74977-c308-4ab8-a937-e6e7031a6bb8.jpg]
Library Support & Development Services
Buzzy Nielsen (Program Manager), Arlene Weible, Darci Hanning, Ferol Weyand, Greta Bergquist, Jennifer Maurer, Ross Fuqua, Tamara Ottum
Contact information<https://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries/Pages/Contact.aspx>

Talking Book & Braille Library Manager
Elke Bruton, 971-375-3509

Government Information & Library Services Manager
Caren Agata, 971-375-3483

Chief Operating Officer
Susan Westin, 503-378-5435

State Librarian
Jennifer Patterson, 503-378-4367

Letters to Libraries Online is published monthly by the State Library of Oregon.

Mission
The State Library of Oregon cultivates, preserves, and delivers library and information services to foster lifelong learning and community engagement.

[State Library of Oregon Facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/StateLibraryOR>
[State Library of Oregon Twitter]<https://twitter.com/statelibraryor>
[State Library of Oregon Instagram]<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/>
[State Library of Oregon Website]<http://www.oregon.gov/library>

Our mailing address is:
State Library of Oregon, 250 Winter St. NE, Salem, OR 97301
Copyright (c)2020, All rights reserved.