[Libs-Or] FW: DRAFT COVID-19 advice for Oregon libraries

NIELSEN Buzzy * SLO Buzzy.NIELSEN at slo.oregon.gov
Thu Jan 14 11:15:58 PST 2021

Hi everyone,

The State Library of Oregon has updated our advice to help libraries continue responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. This document was already distributed to library directors for them to prepare any necessary changes to library procedures.

https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/ld.php?content_id=59410902

The new advice updates the previous advice document<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/ld.php?content_id=55084691> we issued in June and incorporates the risk-based framework that the State is using to determine COVID guidelines. We hope that this advice will help address some of your questions about how to properly respond to the crisis. It covers a variety of topics. The newest content can be found in the sections on Facilities, Public Computers & Shared Equipment, and Programming, although nearly all of the sections contain updated information.

Data sources
State Library staff created these recommendations by reviewing content from the Oregon Health Authority (OHA), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Oregon Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA), and other health & safety professionals. Some of the recommendations are also adapted from OHA's industry-specific advice for sectors facing similar situations as libraries, including retail establishments, restaurants, athletic facilities, organizations offering youth programs, and others. In each section, we cite sources for the advice, and the final page of the document includes a comprehensive list of the sources we consulted. The advice was also reviewed by the State Library's policy advisor from the Governor's Office.

Vaccinations
Many of you may be wondering where library workers fit into the state's vaccine distribution efforts. The state has a website specifically about COVID-19 vaccines in Oregon<https://covidvaccine.oregon.gov/>, including a detailed draft vaccination plan<https://www.oregon.gov/oha/covid19/Documents/COVID-19-Vaccination-Plan-Oregon.pdf>. Right now, library workers are not explicitly mentioned in any of the phases, nor are retail workers (the primary industry in which public and some other types of libraries have been categorized during pandemic response).

We are tracking changes to this plan closely and are giving input about libraries and library workers in regards to vaccine prioritization. Ultimately, the Vaccine Advisory Committee<https://www.oregon.gov/oha/PH/PREVENTIONWELLNESS/VACCINESIMMUNIZATION/IMMUNIZATIONPARTNERSHIPS/Pages/COVID-19-Vaccine-Advisory-Committee.aspx> will advise OHA on equitable vaccine sequencing. While library workers are not mentioned in the plan, some of you may fall into other groups that are, such as individuals with underlying health conditions, ages 65+, or who work or volunteer in healthcare settings. Also, per the state vaccination FAQ<https://sharedsystems.dhsoha.state.or.us/DHSForms/Served/le2390u.pdf>, K-12 school library employees will be the first group of Phase 1B to be eligible to be vaccinated (the state currently is in Phase 1A). See question 5 under "Vaccine distribution in Oregon".

As always, we here at the State Library thank you for continuing to serve your communities. We have consistently been amazed at how you've been able to provide library services despite the massive difficulties posed by this pandemic and its many side effects. It's inspiring to work with Oregon libraries!

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or comments about the updated COVID-19 advice. More information is also available on our COVID-19 LibGuide for Oregon libraries<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus>. And please remember that the whole Library Support & Development team<https://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries/Pages/Contact.aspx> is here to support you!

Stay safe, stay healthy,

Buzzy Nielsen, MPP, MSI
Program Manager, Library Support & Development Services
buzzy.nielsen at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:buzzy.nielsen at slo.oregon.gov> | 971-375-3486 | www.oregon.gov/library/libraries<https://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

[cid:image001.png at 01D6EA66.A0EA4600]