[Libs-Or] IRDL Scholars' Speaker Series: Thinking Critically about Research and Power

Tatiana Bryant tatiana.bryant at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 05:00:00 PST 2021

Dear Colleagues,

We invite you to join us for the 2021 Institute for Research Design in
Libraries (IRDL) Scholars' Speaker Series: Thinking Critically about
Research and Power. This series of presentations is designed to shine a
spotlight on voices and ideas that challenge traditional ways of conducting
research. It surveys various topics with the intention of inspiring
research explicitly rooted in social justice. The series is coordinated by
a working group of IRDL Scholars. As librarians, educators, and
researchers, we are pleased to share this opportunity to reflect and
incorporate what we learn from these speakers into our own research
efforts, so that our methodologies integrate anti-racist and anti-colonial
practices.

Each speaker session is free to attend via Zoom; anyone interested is
welcome. Directly following each presentation, there will be an opportunity
to discuss the topic further together.

Speakers include:

   - Kim TallBear, Associate Professor, Faculty of Native Studies,
   University of Alberta, and Canada Research Chair in Indigenous Peoples,
   Technoscience & Environment
   - Emily Ford, Associate Professor and Urban & Public Affairs Librarian,
   Portland State University
   - Kakali Bhattacharya, Professor, College of Education, University of
   Florida
   - Verónica N. Vélez, Founding Director, Education and Social Justice
   Minor & Program; Associate Professor, Secondary Education, Western
   Washington University
   - Ana Ndumu, Assistant Professor, College of Information Studies,
   University of Maryland College Park

Click the following link for additional information on the speakers, the
dates and times of their presentations, and to register:
https://library.lmu.edu/irdl/speakerseries

This series is sponsored by IRDL, a continuing education program for
academic and research librarians designed to prepare novice researchers for
careers as librarian-researchers. Learn more here:
https://library.lmu.edu/irdl/

If you have questions regarding the Speaker Series or IRDL, please contact
Marie Kennedy (marie.kennedy at lmu.edu).

We look forward to thinking critically about research and power with you.

On behalf of the IRDL Scholars’ Speaker Series Working Group:

Nicole Branch, Santa Clara University

Tatiana Bryant, University of California Irvine

Hailley Fargo, Penn State University

Michael Flierl, Ohio State University

Jamillah R. Gabriel, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign

Rosalinda Linares, Fort Lewis College

Sophie Rondeau, Virginia Academic Library Consortium

Lorelei Rutledge, University of Utah

Kai Alexis Smith, MIT Libraries

Eamon Tewell, Columbia University

Marie R. Kennedy, Loyola Marymount University

Kristine R. Brancolini, Loyola Marymount University