[Libs-Or] Statement condemning anti-Asian hate crimes/solidarity with Asian American library workers

Marci Jenkins Marci.Jenkins at mcminnvilleoregon.gov
Fri Mar 19 13:24:50 PDT 2021

Thank you ACRL Oregon Board for the powerful statement!
Thank you for recognizing and highlighting the level of stress BIPOC are subjected to on a daily basis. Thank you for reminding us this is not a trend or a wave of unfortunate events; this is a reflection of systemic racism fed by the history of oppression endured by BIPOC in this country.
Thank you for providing recommendations as well, so our path towards changing systems rooted in whiteness can happen rather quickly than slow.
I hope libraries can lead the conversations and the actions that will dismantle systemic racism within our institutions, starting by our own posture, our policies and codes of conduct. I hope statements like yours can inspire all types of libraries to initiate and/or carry on with the hard work involved in this matter.
There is an expectation BIPOC needs to facilitate initiatives such as the one you did today, by writing this amazing statement. Most of us BIPOC are mourning these awful and tragic events, we are dealing with a level of anxiety and fear, because our families and friends are not safe. We did not create the system of oppression and prejudice that affect us for centuries, therefore is not our job to fix it, we can raise the flags, but the actions, are a collective effort that involve institutions, like ours.
We cannot tone down and dilute antiracism work, for the sake of the ones that are “tired of talking about it”, “tired of reading about it”, tired of learning about it” when our BIPOC patrons and co-workers have no other choice other than trying to survive this cruel reality 24/7.
Once again, in the name of the OLA EDI Antiracism Committee we thank you for your solidarity
Marci Ramiro-Jenkins
Oregon Library Association EDI Anti-Racism Committee Chair

“Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”
– James Baldwin