[Libs-Or] Announcing the 2020 Oregon Public Library Snapshot!

FUQUA Ross * SLO Ross.FUQUA at slo.oregon.gov
Fri May 21 10:18:14 PDT 2021

Sorry for cross-posting, but...

I'm very happy to announce the first (of what we hope will be many more) public library data dashboards from the State Library!
https://public.tableau.com/profile/statelibraryoforegon#!/vizhome/2020OregonPublicLibrarySnapshot/2020Snapshot

This new 2020 Oregon Public Library Snapshot features key data points and library service measures from the 2020 Oregon Public Library Statistical Report (data reported for the July 1, 2019 - June 30, 2020 period). This interactive tool is meant to provide libraries and the public with an easy (and printable!), at-a-glance visualization of some key data points. It does not display all data gathered in the Statistical Report, but hopefully it will be an easier go-to mechanism for looking up your library's data than having to dig through our massive annual spreadsheets<https://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries/Pages/Statistics.aspx>. FYI, we'll be linking to this dashboard from our Public Library Statistics page<https://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries/Pages/Statistics.aspx> on the State Library's website, as well as on our annual guide for the Statistical Report<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/c.php?g=1109992&p=8092094#s-lg-box-wrapper-30160723>. You can also find it by searching for 'State Library of Oregon' on public.tableau.com<https://public.tableau.com/en-us/search/authors/state%20library%20of%20oregon>.

I appreciate any and all feedback you care to share with us on this new tool. In future months & years, along with producing an annual snapshot like this one (look for the 2021 snapshot in early 2022!) my hope is to create additional dashboards that will provide libraries with better access to longitudinal data from the Statistical Report, better ways to make peer-library comparisons, as well as an annual statewide summary of library services. I'd love to hear your ideas, too!

Lastly, a major thanks as always to all Oregon public library directors and staff who are so diligent in reporting this data every year! This is a small initial step toward making this library data more accessible and useful, and we certainly couldn't do it without your help!

With gratitude,

Ross Fuqua, MA, MLIS (he/him)
Data & Digital Projects Consultant
State Library of Oregon
ross.fuqua at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:ross.fuqua at slo.oregon.gov> | 971-375-3551
www.oregon.gov/library/libraries<https://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>
[cid:image001.png at 01D74E27.EFA94D20]