[Libs-Or] Quick Reminders for November Online Learning Opportunities

HANNING Darci C * SLO Darci.HANNING at slo.oregon.gov
Mon Nov 8 10:02:25 PST 2021

Greetings!

Here are a few upcoming webinars that I wanted to highlight for you; remember that the training calendar<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted#s-lib-ctab-24120710-1> is updated weekly!

Flash Talks! Your Holiday Season Well-Being Edition (People Connect Institute), request registration information here<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Reg4PCI>.
Wednesday, November 10, 11:00a, PT

This session will be a fun and informative way to learn about a variety of topics in short, 10-minute talks. In our Flash Talks, attendees will experience a variety of topics for their holiday season mental health and well-being including:

1.    Bethany Platanella - Overwhelmed by the Holidays? Calm Down with this Quick Breathing Technique
2.    Susan Erickson - Well-Being at Work: The Gift That Keeps on Giving
3.    Dr. Steve Albrecht - Preventing Thefts at the Library: Don't Let the Thieves Steal Your Holiday Spirit
4.    Nicole Bryan - Self Care Through the Holidays
5.    Katie Clausen - A Holiday Gift Booklist: Kids Books That Make Great Gifts

Join us for a fast paced and interesting hour of learning in a flash!

Rekindling from Burnout: Lessons and Strategies for Public Library Workers<https://infopeople.org/civicrm/event/info?id=1009&reset=1> (Infopeople)
Presented by: Abigail Garnett, Alicia Pritchard, Lawrence Fiorelli<https://infopeople.org/people/brooklyn-public-library-adeeba-afshan-rana-abigail-garnett-alicia-pritchard-lawrence-fiorelli>
Thursday, November 18, 12:00p PT

Library workers provide support for patrons in distress on a regular basis. A hard and busy day might leave us depleted. Though we feel the effects of secondary trauma, we may not have the tools to describe and process the experience, leading to our own emotional distress. Without a practice of self-care and a network of support and solidarity, the stress of service work can evolve into guilt, cynicism, numbness, chronic exhaustion, and diminished creativity-legitimate responses that contribute to burnout.

In this webinar we will discuss: Trauma exposure at the library, how our library's "Rekindling from Burnout" project came about, and strategies & actions you can try at your library to build resiliency and networks of support. Additionally, we will share several resources created and curated by the Brooklyn Library staff.
At the end of this one-hour webinar, participants will:
*         Recognize and define signs of secondary trauma and burnout
*         Receive resources to address burnout and learn strategies for self-care
*         Brainstorm actions steps they can take at their library, either free or funded
This webinar will be of interest to: All library staff who want to revitalize and remember why they started, learn practices for resiliency, and bring more communication skills to their work.

Your 21 Magical Days of Gratitude (People Connect Institute), request registration information here<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Reg4PCI>.
Wednesday, November 24, 11:00a, PT

"If the only prayer you ever say is thank you, that will be enough." - Meister Eckhart

Gratitude is thankful appreciation for whatever we receive or experience. In his annual holiday program, Andrew Sanderbeck will explore with you 21 exercises to increase the magic of gratitude in your life. Be sure to bring your gratitude journal and the anticipation of experiencing new ways of bringing more joy, peace and fulfillment into your world.

As a result of this program, attendees will learn:
*         How to create more fulfilling relationships
*         Simple but purposeful acts for applying gratitude in their lives
*         A greater awareness of how their thoughts and feelings influence their actions

Presenter: Andrew Sanderbeck knows firsthand the power of gratitude to create magic in his life. He's most thankful for the people and experiences that life has given him and frequently reminds himself and others to appreciate every moment. His mantra: Life is short, but it is just long enough to forget that.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS (she/her/hers)
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
State Library of Oregon | Library Support and Development Services
971-375-3491 | darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> | www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow @StateLibraryOR: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted

[cid:image001.png at 01D7D099.5831A060]