[Libs-Or] Taking note of the passing of author Gary Paulsen

Bryan Miyagishima miyagib at linnbenton.edu
Fri Oct 15 16:04:33 PDT 2021

It seems a bit funny that no one here in our Oregon library community has
made mention of his death, but perhaps libs-or has become more of an
announcement listserv.

I have to confess that he's never been one of my favorite YA authors, nor
have I read many of his works. But I remember back to my days of being a
high school English teacher, when during silent reading time one of my
students pulled out a well worn copy of *Hatchet* and began reading. And I
said something like, "John (I don't remember his name after all these
years), didn't you already read *Hatchet*?" And he replied, "Mr.
Miyagishima, the ONLY book I read is *Hatchet*!" While my memory is a bit
fuzzy, I'm feeling pretty hopeful that I introduced him to some other works
that year.

But what a superpower! I have to take my hat off and honor the memory of
someone who induced so many reluctant teenage boys to read. I hope that
some of you have similar stories to tell. And if not Gary Paulsen, then
another author who has written that "only book" and hopefully gotten your
patrons started on a love of reading.

Hope yours is a great Friday!

Bryan Miyagishima, Linn-Benton Community College Library