[Libs-Or] Follett/Destiny Petition

Emily O'Neal emilyo at dpls.lib.or.us
Fri Apr 1 09:41:00 PDT 2022

Hi all,
I wanted to share with you an update on a censorship concern that has been made public this week coming from Follett and their software program, Destiny.

In short, the school library ILS and collection development company Follett, is rolling out an "optional" update to their ILS, Destiny, which would immediately email parents the titles and synopsis of books their children check-out. It would also allow parents to block their children from reading materials based of subject headings they deem 'inappropriate'.  If you want to read more about this deeply concerning upgrade see: https://www.forsythnews.com/news/education/forsyth-county-schools-planning-changes-media-centers-book-challenges-2022-23-year/?fbclid=IwAR1t_dC18fmZUTyFWVYsXZ3-Itkm6cC-QDyueKtF9VqyPPXvPaLG8bI_Nxw

To combat this, the OIFC members (huge thanks to Miranda Doyle for spearheading this!) have drafted a petition letter to the President of Follett requesting that they remove this upgrade immediately, based off intellectual freedom rights of students.  See letter petition is linked here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WdpCWImNr-i2dWsd8AoqKzJs2xVEoXqDRliOHtRgplY/edit

We are hoping to gather signature support for this petition over the next 24-48 hours, as Follett is offering an "information session" on Monday and we wanted to share the petition prior to that session.  We are hoping to gather signatures today and email it to the President on Monday.

OIFC is sharing this with you all for three reasons:

1.      If you would like to sign the petition, please feel free to offer your support

2.      To be aware that ILS's are looking at this type of "upgrade" to "comply" with the laws that we are seeing being passed in a number of states

3.      If you would like to share this petition in your professional networks, please feel free to do so - we would love the support!

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments on this. Thank you again to the OIFC members for being such champions for intellectual freedom!

Emily - Co-Chair OIFC

Emily O'Neal, M.L.S.
Technical Services Manager
Deschutes Public Library
(541) 617-7061
emilyo at deschuteslibrary.org<mailto:emilyo at deschuteslibrary.org>
http://www.deschuteslibrary.org<http://www.deschuteslibrary.org/>
[Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services Logo]