[Libs-Or] Connections: Your Link to the State Library of Oregon (April 2022)

VERVILLE Sadie * SLO Sadie.VERVILLE at slo.oregon.gov
Fri Apr 1 09:21:08 PDT 2022

View this email in your browser<https://mailchi.mp/a8e4b0e9a17d/state-library-newsletter-letter-to-libraries-online-december-1594339?e=fcfe25ac6a>
[https://mcusercontent.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/53875887-6fde-df64-0db9-6f417220752f.jpg]
Volume 32, Issue 4 - April 2022

In this issue:

  *   Grant in the Spotlight: The Linn Benton Community Literacy Partnership
  *   National Library Service Debuts Veterans Affairs Rapid Sign-Up Pilot
  *   TRIVIA TIME!
  *   OrDoc of the Month: Report of the Legislative Interim Tax Study Committee
  *   Using Data Sources for Planning Library Projects

[https://mcusercontent.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/375b80ad-033f-469a-9b14-543504990cc9.jpg]

Grant in the Spotlight: The Linn Benton Community Literacy Partnership

By Max H. Robinson, Library Consulting Assistant for Library Support
Through its grant program, Library Support and Development<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=8bc9cbee17&e=fcfe25ac6a> opens the door to many opportunities for new and creative projects in libraries throughout the state. Grants are designed, managed, approved, and awarded to help communities build bridges between organizations and support individuals with specific needs. In 2022 alone, Library Support grants, funded by the federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) and American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA), have been developed to support the growth of school and university library collections, public library workforce and technological improvements, the creation of paid teen internship opportunities, and the establishment of many other notable library-community partnerships.
In 2019 and again in 2020, back-to-back LSTA grants provided the financial foundation to create the Linn-Benton Community Literacy Partnership (LBCLP)<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=823c81088e&e=fcfe25ac6a>. It started when Joyce Thompson Graham moved to the Linn-Benton community in 2015 and began working as the Adult Basic Skills Department Coordinator and Chair at Linn-Benton Community College (LBCC)<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=a55476248c&e=fcfe25ac6a> in Albany, Oregon.
Recognition of a Need
Soon after beginning her work in this role, Joyce noticed a population with a strong need for literacy support, a need that was not being met by the college or the community. At the time, there were people looking to obtain degrees at LBCC, yet they were struggling with their primary language of English or Spanish, holding them back from forward progress at the school and in their lives. The basic language skills needed would help members of the community to receive their GED, find better work opportunities, get raises or promotions at their current jobs, test for and receive a driver license, or simply satisfy the desire to experience the joy of reading for themselves.
[cid:image001.png at 01D845A9.D0964C10]
Applying for and Receiving Grant Funding
In late 2018, Joyce paired with Richenda Hawkins, the Instructional Services and Reference Librarian at LBCC, and the two of them applied for a grant from the State Library of Oregon. The preliminary and subsequent grants would provide essential funding to fuel the work of improving lives of individuals within the Linn-Benton community. Over the course of the two grant phases, the funding provided opportunities for hiring a full-time project coordinator and part-time web coordinator, developing literacy kits and supporting collections for local libraries, and creating systems and advertising tools to promote literacy opportunities throughout a wide network of people.
The Numbers for Today and Tomorrow
Since the fall of 2019, the LBCLP has provided essential literacy services to over 50 people, and with the recent lifting of pandemic restrictions, they hope to serve many more. There are currently 56 literacy kits in circulation (eight sets of four levels in English, and six sets of four levels in Spanish), and these kits are used to support the work of 25 active tutors, including six who speak fluent Spanish, and 14 extra tutors on reserve.
“I have so much belief that literacy changes lives. Without being around people who felt the same way and having LSTA provide the money, [it] would have taken decades to gather the funds on our own.”
– Joyce Thompson Graham, Adult Basic Skills Department Coordinator and Chair at Linn-Benton Community College
Donate to the Linn Benton Community Literacy Partnership<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=7b766b1912&e=fcfe25ac6a> through the Linn Benton Community College Foundation. You can also find out more about the State Library’s grant programs<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=13f7d286d8&e=fcfe25ac6a>.
All LSTA-grant funded projects are made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=1b1c8d09a9&e=fcfe25ac6a>, which administers the LSTA program on the national level.

[https://mcusercontent.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/87dc4a86-d7ea-431d-b1aa-f364f85d2794.jpg]

National Library Service Debuts Veterans Affairs Rapid Sign-Up Pilot

By Joel Henderson, Volunteer and Recording Studio Coordinator for Talking Books
Since the Talki[https://mcusercontent.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/459f1543-eff8-d0de-0758-c5b2ac4ac9be.jpg]ng Book and Braille program began in 1932, prioritizing veterans has been one of the program’s core values. As each new generation of equipment has been introduced, veterans have been first in line to receive it. And now, the National Library Service (NLS) is piloting a new application process to make it easier for veterans to register for the program.
NLS has recently updated their download-on-demand platform, BARD, to accommodate a Veterans Affairs (VA) Rapid Sign-Up project. This pilot means trained VA certifiers can now begin submitting applications for veterans who are interested in using BARD with a personal smartphone or tablet.
Upon submission of the application, several things will happen simultaneously. BARD will:

  *   Automatically create an account for the veteran.

  *   Send an email notification to the veteran containing a temporary BARD password.
  *   Transfer the account to the network library (that’s us) based on the veteran’s home address.
  *   Send a notification to the network library containing instructions for accessing the veteran’s new account and generating a copy of the certified application for the library’s records.
This new process reduces duplication of effort in a couple of key ways. Instead of the veteran’s information being manually recorded three times by three different people (application completed by certifier, new user account entered by network library staff, and new BARD account created by veteran), the information is only entered once, then shared appropriately by various connected systems. Also, the veteran does not need to wait to sign up for BARD or remember how to do so. More back-end automation means more front-end convenience for the veteran.
This VA Rapid Sign-Up pilot once again reinforces the program’s commitment to prioritizing service to veterans while also demonstrating the NLS’ continuing efforts to modernize and streamline. Oorah/Hooah/Hooyah!

Talking Book and Braille Library TRIVIA TIME!

We’re back with another Talking Book and Braille Library TRIVIA TIME! But before we get to this month’s question, here is last month’s answer:
What preferences does the automatic selection process take into consideration when choosing books for users? All of the above (subject, narrator, explicit content) and more
Thank you to everyone who submitted their answers, and feel free to keep participating each month. Here is this month’s question:
Q: What factor has NOT contributed to the problems with printing Talking Book Topics?

  *   Worsening supply-chain issues
  *   Volatility of crypto currency

  *   Skyrocketing printing costs
  *   Worldwide paper and ink shortages
Hint: you can find the answer in a previous issue of Connections<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=0db5e85a65&e=fcfe25ac6a>.
[Click this link to submit your trivia question answers]<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=b9120f05b9&e=fcfe25ac6a>
Click the button above to submit your answer to the trivia question. If you provide your name and contact information and answer the question correctly, you may win a fun prize!
Check back next month to see the answer, and we’ll be back with more trivia in future Connections issues.

[https://mcusercontent.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/30c9aaa3-de12-a172-0fba-f05e16e416aa.jpg]

OrDoc of the Month: Report of the Legislative Interim Tax Study Committee
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D845A9.D0964C10]
In April, our minds inevitably turn to taxes. Oregon’s tax system has been studied and revised repeatedly. In 1955, the Legislature created a Tax Study Committee to review the tax system and make recommendations. The Committee’s reports<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=1cd90d15fb&e=fcfe25ac6a> are, not surprisingly, fairly dry. But the covers of the 1955-1957 and 1957-1959 editions display a lighthearted, humorous approach to a serious topic.
These reports are part of the Oregon Government Publications<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=cef340afc2&e=fcfe25ac6a> digital collection.

Using Data Sources for Planning Library Projects

[cid:image003.png at 01D845A9.D0964C10]
Last summer, the Government Information and Library Services<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=b374d3f778&e=fcfe25ac6a> division introduced a pilot project to learn more about state agency employees<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=ea225fc57e&e=fcfe25ac6a>’ language learning needs and how library databases may be able to support them. While we had anecdotal information pointing us toward potential needs, we also had a lot of questions. What are the top languages spoken in Oregon? Which language learning databases would best support government workers?
We started with the data. We focused on languages spoken in Oregon, languages reported by state agencies, and how those languages aligned with languages offered by databases. Then we mapped the languages by data sources (federal and state) and database providers.
Here are a few examples of our data sources:

  *   Language spoken at home by ability to speak English for the population 5 years and over, 2019 American Community Survey 1-year estimates<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=4b74db60fa&e=fcfe25ac6a> (Table B16001) from the U.S. Census Bureau
     *   We limited this table by geographic region for Oregon.
     *   Interested in using Census Bureau<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=0d8967528f&e=fcfe25ac6a> Data<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=7dffad778a&e=fcfe25ac6a> for your programs? We recommend the Census Academy<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=ccaa22d48c&e=fcfe25ac6a>’s how-to videos, courses, webinars, and tutorials.

  *   Monthly Medicaid population report<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=e5f16b2ecb&e=fcfe25ac6a>: CCO by top 20 languages for physical plan type<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=7e67b60e47&e=fcfe25ac6a> from the Office of Health Analytics<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=a0a33e2912&e=fcfe25ac6a>, Oregon Health Authority<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=018bfeda0b&e=fcfe25ac6a>
     *   Also available from State Library of Oregon Digital Collections<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=440d599f2f&e=fcfe25ac6a>
  *   COVID-19 collection<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=4ed3925a23&e=fcfe25ac6a> from Oregon Government Publications<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=9746f22f52&e=fcfe25ac6a>
     *   We listed all languages represented in the collection of publications from Oregon state agencies.
Having a better understanding of languages spoken in Oregon improved our database selection process and prepared us for our next steps: promotion and training. Now that we’re nearing the evaluation period, we continue monitoring languages learned by state agency employees to see how their selections align with our earlier data research.
As organizations continue to focus on equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility efforts, how are you including languages in your programs and services? Which data sources are you using to monitor alignment with your local communities? And how are you finding and responding to changes?

[https://mcusercontent.com/91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03/images/41c74977-c308-4ab8-a937-e6e7031a6bb8.jpg]

Library Support & Development Services Program Manager
Buzzy Nielsen<mailto:buzzy.nielsen at slo.oregon.gov>, 971-375-3486

Talking Book & Braille Library Manager
Elke Bruton<mailto:elke.bruton at slo.oregon.gov>, 971-375-3509

Government Information & Library Services Manager
Caren Agata<mailto:caren.agata at slo.oregon.gov>, 971-375-3483

Chief Operating Officer
Susan Westin<mailto:susan.westin at slo.oregon.gov>, 503-378-5435

State Librarian
Wendy Cornelisen<mailto:wendy.cornelisen at slo.oregon.gov>, 503-378-4367

Connections is published monthly by the State Library of Oregon, and was formerly known as Letters to Libraries Online.

Mission
The State Library of Oregon cultivates, preserves, and delivers library and information services to foster lifelong learning and community engagement.

[State Library of Oregon Facebook]<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=3d5921dad1&e=fcfe25ac6a>
[State Library of Oregon Twitter]<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=ae940ff9d3&e=fcfe25ac6a>
[State Library of Oregon Instagram]<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=2503a3011a&e=fcfe25ac6a>
[State Library of Oregon Website]<https://oregon.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=91dd1172fce9a235a5e993c03&id=a21d101f20&e=fcfe25ac6a>