[Libs-Or] Join ACRL-Oregon for a free webinar - “Academic Freedom and Libraries” on April 28th at 12pm Pacific.

Rachel Bridgewater rbridgewater at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 09:35:02 PDT 2022

ACRL-Oregon offers free webinars on topics relevant to academic library
staff. Our upcoming webinar is “Academic Freedom and Libraries” and will be
presented by Aaron Roussell, Ph.D,  an Associate Professor of Sociology at
Portland State University on April 28th, at 12pm Pacific.

*Academic Freedom and Libraries*
This webinar will establish some basic understandings regarding academic
freedom, its role in the academy, and how it differs from free speech. We
will touch on the importance of norms, values, university co-governance,
and collective movement for the maintenance of academic freedom and discuss
the threats to it, from university administration, to reactionary
legislatures, Koch funded interest groups, and different forms of external
harassment. We will then begin discussing in small groups our personal,
collegial, and institutional needs, fears, and threats to begin crafting
organizing strategies to prepare for potential future negative
events.

Aaron Roussell, Ph.D. is an Associate Professor of Sociology at Portland
State University. His research and teaching projects focus on race, class,
and social danger through quantitative and ethnographic methods,
specifically with respect to policing, state violence, and drugs. He is the
co-author of *The Limits of Community Policing: Civilian power and police
accountability in Black and Brown Los Angeles* (2019, NYU Press). Aaron
joined his first union (UAW 2865) in 2007 and has served academic unions in
a variety of roles including shop steward, Vice President for Academic
Freedom and Grievances, and Executive Councilor for the PSU-American
Association of Academic Professionals union chapter. He continues to
organize in a variety of ways in his various communities.

Registration is open to any library staff-person, but we are limited to 100
attendees in the session, so register soon!

https://forms.gle/4HLooHzgo1tbQPJ88

We also plan to record the webinar and make it available on our YouTube
channel. <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdqfWF4niwtaeIAhLwNUHPA> If you
register, we will email you a link to the recording after the session.
Questions about our webinars can be directed to ACRL-Oregon President Emily
Ford at acrlor at olaweb.org.

-Rachel Bridgewater
ACRL-OR, Past-President

--