[Libs-Or] About the Petition to the State Library of Oregon

NIELSEN Buzzy * SLO Buzzy.NIELSEN at slo.oregon.gov
Thu Feb 17 08:50:06 PST 2022

I write on behalf of Library Support & Development Services at the State Library, in our role as administrator for the Libs-Or listserv. The conversation happening around the petition “Break the Library Institutional Reliance on Unpaid BIPOC Labor!”<https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/break-the-library-institutional-reliance-on-unpaid> is critical, as the petition addresses EDIA issues that are fundamental to our work as libraries. Libs-Or was created in part as a way to have such discussions. We want to share a part of the Libs-Or User Guidelines<https://www.oregon.gov/Library/libraries/Documents/LIBS_OR_Guidelines_032020.pdf> that expresses the spirit we hope to foster with the listserv:

“Libs-Or is a space for expressing diverse opinions and ideas that include fundamental respect for the rights, dignity, and value of all persons. These guidelines are in place to foster diverse and frank dialogue, mutual respect, and a sense of community among all Libs-Or subscribers.”

Portions of this conversation are not keeping in this spirit. The conversation happening here is important, and we ask that everyone participating please keep in mind that respecting our colleagues and their varied lived experiences is paramount to having productive dialogue.

We have also received complaints that some content in this discussion has violated the Libs-Or guidelines that “Messages including defamatory, abusive, threatening, or illegal materials or language are prohibited.” We will follow up with the appropriate persons about those complaints.

Thank you for being intentional as this conversation continues. Discussing EDIA issues is hard because it by nature involves challenging long-held norms in the dominant culture, and frank and respectful discussion needs to happen if we are to become a more equitable profession.

With respect,
Buzzy

Buzzy Nielsen, MPP, MSI (he/him/his)
Program Manager, Library Support & Development Services
State Library of Oregon
buzzy.nielsen at slo.oregon.gov | 971-375-3486
www.oregon.gov/library/libraries<https://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[Logo for the Library Support & Development Services division at the State Library of Oregon]<http://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries>