[Libs-Or] About the Petition to the State Library of Oregon

Steve Silver stevesilver673 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 10:33:48 PST 2022

Apologies for being late to this conversation (crazy week and just now
getting to some of my emails). Meredith and Matthew have wonderfully
expressed why this petition and work deserve our support. Kate, your
articulate perspective on the OLA board dynamics that led to the petition
is immensely helpful. Penny, your willingness to be a respectful voice
raising questions about process that I had not originally considered, while
still supporting the intent of the petition, is appreciated. Nancy, your
explanation of the State Library's engagement with this topic, and
procedures they are/will be required to follow, is a helpful addition to
this conversation. Many thanks go to the OLA board for wrestling with this
topic in good faith and with intention. And of course, much thanks to Marci
for her leadership in this area, even while carrying the extra emotional
and cognitive labor we as a profession and society far too often tacitly
(or explicitly) expect from our BIPOC colleagues.

I think we can all agree that change is needed. At least I hope we can all
agree on that point. Librarianship remains more white than the US
population and has seen little to no improvement despite efforts and
rhetoric dedicated to improving representation of BIPOC. What we have been
trying to do has not been effective. New approaches are needed. Change by
definition means disrupting the status quo. Disruption and change are messy
and uncomfortable. If it were clean and easy we likely would have
accomplished it by now. Missteps by all involved will inevitably happen as
we struggle together to forge a new and better path. In my opinion, those
missteps and my discomfort pale in comparison to the systematic injustice
and harm we as a profession and society continue to inflict on our BIPOC
colleagues, potential colleagues, and communities. Policies, procedures,
and ethics exist for good reason and ought not to be lightly abandoned or
ignored. But dismantling white supremacy in our profession requires
dismantling policies, procedures, and even ethics that are doing harm
rather than their intended good. If we are smart we will learn from our
missteps, but not let them derail us from the critically important,
difficult, messy work of dismantling white supremacy within our profession.
This old, white, hetero, male fully supports this work being done by the
OLA board, the EDI Anti-Racism committee, the State Library, and especially
Marci and our other BIPOC colleagues, despite whatever mistakes will be
made along the way. I continue to learn, grow, and make mistakes. May we
all do the same.

Steve Silver