[Libs-Or] About the Petition to the State Library of Oregon

Scott Gallagher-Starr scott.gallagherstarr at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 15:29:27 PST 2022

Thank you, Bryce, I was just coming to write this myself. Marci is
providing terrific leadership in this effort, and I also see her as an
excellent person to recommend to lead the recruitment process - if she is
willing to do yet another unpaid job for this community!

So far as the recruitment process goes, please correct me if I am wrong,
but the State library is obligated to go through the normal recruiting
process - put in a request to create and budget for an EDIA position,
advertise the position, solicit applications, review applications,
interview candidates and recommend a hire. That's a flawed process too, and
it's the process the library has to use as a state agency. I would advocate
for Marci (or Max, or anyone else who thinks they could do that hard work)
to apply when applications open, and I demand that OSL work with community
to create the position in the first place.

Scott
-----
Scott Gallagher-Starr
Instruction and Reference Librarian