[Libs-Or] Oregon Library Online Learning Opportunities (March 2022)

HANNING Darci C * SLO Darci.HANNING at slo.oregon.gov
Wed Feb 23 16:20:38 PST 2022

Read this email in a browser<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/ld.php?content_id=65668339>

[State Library of Oregon logo with a blue stripe at the top and a picture of a shelf with rows of books fading away.]

Oregon Library Online Learning Opportunities

Your Monthly Training Round-Up for March 2022!

Highlighted Learning Events and Resources

[https://libcrm-beefree-us.s3.amazonaws.com/Images/f72de53fc0b1b682c86914a11d1bcfe5/editor_images/newsletter01.JPG]
"Basic Library Skills" Academy

The State Library is pleased to announce the new Basic Library Skills academy<https://my.nicheacademy.com/basicskills> -- open and free to everyone. This new academy covers introductory level tutorials and webinars on collection development, technical services, public programming and services, and more. Directors can use this resource to help onboard new staff and volunteers; staff can learn more about the overall operations of a library. No registration or user account necessary; however with a user account, Niche Academy will help you pick up where you left off.

[View Academy]
[https://libcrm-beefree-us.s3.amazonaws.com/Images/f72de53fc0b1b682c86914a11d1bcfe5/editor_images/webjunctionlogo.JPG]
Taking Care of Self, Staff, and Community

Thursday, March 10, 2022 | 12:00p | One-hour webinar

We're all aware that self-care is important. We recognize the value of eating healthy, getting plenty of sleep, exercising regularly. However, practicing self-care as a solo activity misses a critical aspect of our well-being: that we are social beings and we need social connection for deeper sustenance. In this webinar, we'll explore ideas for expanding core self-care practices to encompass connections with work colleagues and more broadly with community members. [Learn more<https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/taking-care-of-self-staff-and-community.html>]

[Register]

[https://libcrm-beefree-us.s3.amazonaws.com/Images/f72de53fc0b1b682c86914a11d1bcfe5/alarm-clock-lying-on-multicolored-surface-1314544.jpg]

As a quick reminder, we offer a calendar<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted#s-lib-ctab-24120710-1> of training events that is updated regularly and also includes a list of virtual of conferences; additionally, you can check out the complete list of free webinars compiled by the Wyoming State Library at WebJunction<https://www.webjunction.org/find-training/free-events.html> or by downloading the PDF document<https://library.wyo.gov/assets/ldo/training/FreeCE.pdf>. For additional training resources, please visit the State Library of Oregon's CE LibGuide<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted>.

PCI Weekly Webinars

[https://libcrm-beefree-us.s3.amazonaws.com/Images/f72de53fc0b1b682c86914a11d1bcfe5/editor_images/d909c02b-e610-49b9-b6e4-0877782cc0ac.jpg]

Paid for by the State Library of Oregon, PCI webinars are hosted each Wednesday from 11:00a - 12:00p PT, topics for March are:

  *   March 2: Basic Cataloging with RDA
  *   March 9: The Power of Words
  *   March 16: Once Upon A Training: Using Stories to Increase Learning and Engagement in Staff Training
  *   March 23: Eliminating Personal Burnout: 7 Crucial Skills
  *   March 30: Managing Up

Complete descriptions are available here<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted#s-lib-ctab-24120710-3>; Oregon library staff, volunteers, and board members can request registration information<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Reg4PCI>. All PCI webinars are recorded and made available through Oregon's Library Staff Academy<https://my.nicheacademy.com/oregonstaff/>. If you need access to the academy please use this request form<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/OR-NicheAcademy> (available to Oregon library staff, volunteers, and board members).

[https://libcrm-beefree-us.s3.amazonaws.com/Images/f72de53fc0b1b682c86914a11d1bcfe5/editor_images/78bcbdd6-6327-43b0-9789-02ff7c27b28a.jpg]
At Your Leisure

Recorded webinars and self-paced tutorials are available at your convenience in the Oregon Library Staff Academy<https://my.nicheacademy.com/oregonstaff/>. If you need access to the academy please use this request form<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/OR-NicheAcademy>, (available to Oregon library staff, volunteers, and board members).

Newly added self-paced tutorials and webinars:

  *   Library Violence Prevention and De-escalation<https://my.nicheacademy.com/oregonstaff/course/42811> (webinar)
  *   Dealing with Complaints and Challenges<https://my.nicheacademy.com/oregonstaff/course/44337> (self-paced tutorial)
  *   Copyright for Libraries: What you Need to Know<https://my.nicheacademy.com/oregonstaff/course/43943> (webinar)
  *   Supporting Transgender Staff and Patrons - Basic Terms<https://my.nicheacademy.com/oregonstaff/course/43030> (self-paced tutorial)
  *   Staying Safe Online<https://my.nicheacademy.com/oregonstaff/course/43778> (webinar)

Virtual Conferences

March 15-17, 2022 (9:00a - 1:00p PT) - 3rd Annual Southeast Collaborative Conference<https://sites.google.com/view/secollaborative> The 2022 Southeast Collaborative Online Conference is a collective effort by the Georgia Public Library Service, State Library of North Carolina, South Carolina State Library, Tennessee State Library & Archives, and the Library of Virginia to offer innovative and useful online learning experiences for library staff at all levels through a convenient online conference. All times listed in the agenda are 3 hours ahead of Pacific Time. Registration<https://whova.com/portal/registration/sclc_202203> is now open.

March 25, 2022 - Online Northwest<https://onlinenorthwest.org/> The theme this year is "Open Librarianship", focusing on how those involved in libraries can create more equitable access to information. We're taking an expansive view of what Open Librarianship means, and how it intersects with library technologies. Registration<https://commerce.cashnet.com/cashneti/selfserve/EditItem.aspx?PC=LIB-REGULAR&ItemCount=1> is now open -- the registration fee of $25 is to help cover the cost of live captioning the event.

March 29, 2022 - Virtual Reality and Learning: Leading the Way<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/library-2022-virtual-reality-and-learning-leading-the-way-registration-243644195347> Virtual Reality was identified by the American Library Association as one of the 10 top library technology trends for the future. The use of this technology is equally trending in the education, museum, and professional learning spheres. Virtual Reality is a social and digital technology that uniquely promises to transform learning, build empathy, and make personal and professional training more effective and economical. This is a Library 2.022 mini-conference that will be hosted online, live and recorded.
[https://libcrm-beefree-us.s3.amazonaws.com/Images/f72de53fc0b1b682c86914a11d1bcfe5/1172902_State%20Library_Alternate%20Logo.png]

Looking for a learning resource? Have a training topic suggestion? Please reach out: darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> or 971-375-3491.

 State Library of Oregon     |    250 Winter St NE Salem OR 97301