[Libs-Or] Advice on Organizing World Cinema Collections

Brzozowski, Bonnie Bonnie.Brzozowski at corvallisoregon.gov
Thu Feb 24 10:32:23 PST 2022

** I have also posed this question to the PUBLIB listserv. Please excuse cross posting.**

Hi everyone,

We are curious how other libraries organize/shelve their foreign film/world cinema movie collections. Do you organize them by country or language or a combination of both? Or, are they mixed in with your movies in English?

We have movies divided by country, if other than the U.S., but we also have a section for DVDs in Spanish. Because it's not clear what should go where, we have inconsistencies such as finding some of Pedro Almodovar's titles in the Spanish DVD collection and others in the Spain section of the World Cinema collection.

If you have any guidelines you follow as to how to assign a DVD a country or language, please share those as well, if you can. Many movies have a director hailing from one country that film a movie based in another country (e.g., the documentary Room Without a View<https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14573620/> - a German filmmaker making a movie about migrant domestic workers in Lebanon - would that be Germany or Lebanon, if you divide by country?). If you divide by language, what about movies that are in multiple languages - how do you decide which language to file it under? If all of your world and movies in other languages are shelved together with movies in English, do you somehow sticker or indicate on the physical item?

Any advice or thoughts on organizing movies from countries other than the U.S. would be welcome.

Thanks in advance for any time you have to offer to my questions,

Bonnie
Bonnie Brzozowski (she/her)
Public Services Librarian

Corvallis-Benton County Public Library
645 NW Monroe Ave
Corvallis, OR 97330
(541) 766-6567
Work week: Tuesday-Saturday

Disclaimer: This e-mail message is a public record of the City of Corvallis. The contents may be subject to public disclosure under Oregon Public Records Law and subject to the State of Oregon Records Retention Schedules. (OAR:166.200.0200-405)