[Libs-Or] Advice on Organizing World Cinema Collections

Taylor Kaplan taylor.kaplan at sjsu.edu
Thu Feb 24 11:28:20 PST 2022

Hi Bonnie,

I'm a current MLIS student—so, no formal library experience yet—but I did
run the DVD section of a large record store. For whatever it's worth, we
started a "Directors" section, containing the work of notable
international/domestic directors, organized by last name. While we
would cross-file certain items in world cinema and a Criterion section,
this section was the first stop for titles by Almodovar, Fellini, Kurosawa,
whoever else. This proved mostly popular and efficient for staff and
customers alike, and eliminated a lot of confusing organizational issues.
As for titles with ambiguous origins, authorship, etc. (like Room Without a
View) I would have put that in documentaries first, world cinema second.

Not sure how any of this would work with your library's classification
system, but I thought it might be worth passing along!

Best,
Taylor