[Libs-Or] Engaging in hard conversations on Libs-Or

HOOVER Nancy * SLO Nancy.HOOVER at slo.oregon.gov
Thu Feb 24 15:47:24 PST 2022

Hello,

The recent conversation on Libs-Or about the petition "Break the Library Institutional Reliance on Unpaid BIPOC Labor!"<https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/break-the-library-institutional-reliance-on-unpaid> has included many thoughtful, well-considered points that have furthered people's understanding of equity, diversity, inclusion, and antiracism (EDIA). We have heard from many of you that the conversation has opened your eyes to others' experiences, especially the very different paths walked by library staff who are Black, Indigenous, or People of Color (BIPOC).

Some comments have also hurt members of our community or made them feel attacked, stymieing our shared goal to make Oregon libraries more equitable. This recent discussion is not the first conversation, nor will it be the last, that we have about EDIA in Oregon libraries. Advancing EDIA work is hard, a burden often placed on our BIPOC colleagues, and that work frequently involves challenging norms in the dominant white culture.

As the administrators of the Libs-Or list, and as established in its User Guidelines<https://www.oregon.gov/Library/libraries/Documents/LIBS_OR_Guidelines_032020.pdf>, we at the State Library want to foster further dialogue about EDIA issues, and other hard topics, that encourages empathy and a sense of curiosity. In that spirit, we suggest that you ask yourself the following questions before contributing to discussions on Libs-Or:

*       Have I fully considered the other person's point?
Conversation requires quieting the mind and listening to others, so give yourself time to seriously consider each person's points. If you found someone's message puzzling, uncomfortable, or "wrong", look back on the comments and try to understand them from a perspective other than your own. Those of us from more dominant cultures have a particular responsibility to reflect on thoughts from people who identify as BIPOC or belonging to other groups that are or have been marginalized.

*       Could my message harm people, even if unintentionally?
Previous and current EDIA conversations on Libs-Or have caused a lot of avoidable hurt to people. One way to avoid hurt is to give yourself time before responding, so that you can fully consider your thoughts before sharing them. For instance, directing comments towards individual people can make them feel attacked and vulnerable. Even comments discussing general ideas can cause damage if those ideas speak to a person's lived experience. Please be cognizant of how your message might be received by others. And again, consider that many of our colleagues belong to groups who already bear the extra weight of current and historic harms on their shoulders.

*       What am I trying to accomplish with my message?
Being clear about the goal of your message can help you clarify your thoughts and better target it. Are you advocating for change, such as at the Oregon Library Association (OLA) or the State Library? Maybe you want to educate or inform others about a topic or event. Having a defined goal can help you intentionally build on the conversation instead of being reactive. Think about what can you add to the dialogue.

*       Is Libs-Or the right venue for what I want to accomplish?
Once you know what you want to accomplish, consider how best to direct your communications. Libs-Or messages are blunt instruments, distributed to a wide variety of people interested in the Oregon library community. This large audience amplifies the potential to cause harm, as discussed above. Targeting your message may serve you more effectively and avoid hurt among others. If your goal is to advocate for change at OLA or the State Library, consider reaching out directly to those organizations. If you are trying to engage with or have a question for a specific person, an individual message may more effective. See also the message from Taylor Worley<https://omls.oregon.gov/pipermail/libs-or/2022-February/019403.html> in the most recent EDIA discussion where she describes the concepts of "calling out" and "calling in".

There will continue to be challenging conversations on Libs-Or, especially around EDIA issues. Thank you to everyone who has thoughtfully put themselves forward in such discussions, both recently and in the past. It takes tremendous bravery to be vulnerable before hundreds of your colleagues. It's also valid to fear speaking out to that wide audience and making a mistake. EDIA conversations are hard. We're all going to make mistakes, as we can't walk all the paths that others do. What we can do is help each other grow as we make mistakes together. We hope that Libs-Or is a tool to facilitate that mutual growth.

If you have questions or would like to discuss these ideas further, please reach out to Buzzy Nielsen at buzzy.nielsen at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:buzzy.nielsen at slo.oregon.gov> or 971-270-0527.

Nancy Hoover
Acting State Librarian

Buzzy Nielsen
Program Manager for Library Support & Development Services
State Library of Oregon

Nancy Hoover (she, her, hers)
Acting State Librarian
State Library of Oregon
nancy.hoover at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:nancy.hoover at slo.oregon.gov>
Office: 503-378-4367| Mobile 971-283-6681
www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>
[Title: State Library of Oregon]