[OLA-IF-News] definition of chilling effect?

Steve Silver ssilver at nwcu.edu
Mon Aug 6 10:28:22 PDT 2018

Anyone have a good source for a basic definition of 'chilling effect' that could be cited in an academic paper? I'm surprised this is not in the glossary of terms in the Intellectual Freedom Manual. I find all sorts of references to the chilling effect in the literature, but so far nothing that provides a basic definition. Definitions exist in online dictionaries, but I'd prefer a more "substantial" source.

thanks in advance for any help,

Steve Silver
Library Director
P  541-684-7237