[OLA-IF-News] A Media Studies Perspective on Canceling Books

Miranda Doyle doylem at loswego.k12.or.us
Tue Mar 16 12:38:07 PDT 2021

Kirsten, this was such a good article. Weighty and it took me some time to
get through it, but well worth it.

This was eye opening for sure - the gatekeeping power of publishers (with
more and more of a monopoly):

If we expand past the picture of the moment of cancelation, we can call the
systematic exclusion of authors of color a long-game form of cancelation.
The Lee and Low survey
<https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/publisher-news/article/82284-new-lee-and-low-survey-shows-no-progress-on-diversity-in-publishing.html>
from
the summer of 2020 was a pretty damning picture of an overall failure of
the publishing industry to include diverse voices. You can even tell when Toni
Morrison was working as an editor
<https://zora.medium.com/toni-morrison-as-an-editor-changed-book-publishing-forever-5b6127a40afa>
because
there is a noticeable jump in books published by Black authors.

Thanks,

Miranda Doyle (she/her)
District Teacher-Librarian, LOSD
📚 🔍 Virtual Library