[OLA-IF-News] Some local AT&T wireless users may be impacted by a CA state law

Erin Sims erins at multco.us
Mon Mar 22 14:01:11 PDT 2021

>From this article <https://www.reuters.com/article/att-data-idUSL1N2LF0B1>:

"The U.S. wireless carrier said the state law bans “sponsored data”
services that allowed companies such as video providers to pay for some
data usage of certain AT&T wireless customers.

'Given that the Internet does not recognize state borders, the new law not
only ends our ability to offer California customers such free data services
but also similarly impacts our customers in states beyond California,' AT&T
said in a statement.

AT&T wireless customers on tiered plans who also have an AT&T video service
like DIRECTV or AT&T TV and stream that service over the AT&T wireless
network are impacted. AT&T wireless customers on unlimited plans are
unaffected.

The company notified customers late Tuesday of the change effective March
25 in an email titled 'Data Free TV ends.' "

*Erin Sims, MLS*
*Adult Literacy Team*
Multnomah County Library
503-988-6395 *:::* multcolib.org <https://multcolib.org/adult-literacy>
Pronouns:* She, Her, Hers*

*One glance at a book and you hear the voice of another person, perhaps
someone dead for 1,000 years. To read is to voyage through time.*
-- Carl Sagan