[OYAN] Robert Hulshof-Schmidt to succeed Jim Scheppke as the next Oregon State Librarian

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Fri Oct 21 16:19:42 PDT 2011

Robert Hulshof-Schmidt to succeed Jim Scheppke as the next Oregon State Librarian

[RBHSOSLmini]News Release
October 21, 2011

Contact:          Sam Hall, Chair, Oregon State Library Board of Trustees
Twyla Lawson, Oregon Department of Administrative
Services, (503) 373-7677

Today, the Oregon State Library Board of Trustees selected Robert Hulshof-Schmidt, the current Program Manager of the State Library's Government Research Services, to serve as Oregon's next State Librarian. He has served with the State Library for seven years.

Hulshof-Schmidt will assume his duties on January 1st, 2012, succeeding Jim Scheppke, who is retiring at the end of 2011 after twenty-five years of service with the Oregon State Library, twenty as the State Librarian.

"I am thrilled by this opportunity. I appreciate the trust that the Oregon State Library Board, staff and the library community have placed in me. These are exciting and challenging times for Oregon's libraries and I look forward to leading this strong organization into the future."

He holds a Master's Degree in Library Science from the University of Washington and Bachelor of Arts in English from Willamette University.

Hulshof-Schmidt was selected from a field of 12 candidates who met the qualifications of the position. The Board chose Hulshof-Schmidt from three finalists. Although the vote was unanimous, all members said each of the three finalists were well qualified.

The Oregon State Library provides quality information services to Oregon state government; reading materials to blind and print-disabled Oregonians; and leadership, grants, and other assistance to improve library service for all Oregonians.

Jessica Rondema
Administrative Services Coordinator
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St. NE