[OYAN] Blackout Poetry

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Thu Apr 11 10:48:14 PDT 2013

Please pardon the cross-posting.

I was reading an article, “Reaching Teens Subversively through Passive Programming,” when one of the programming ideas about blackout poetry caught my attention.
            http://www.programminglibrarian.org/library/planning/reaching-teens-passive-programming.html#.UWXojMrW7e4

I’ve never heard of blackout poetry and was quite impressed with the example poem. Rather than me trying to explain, just click on this link:
            http://pinterest.com/pin/254171972689745073/

Maybe I’m just late to the party, but in case you’ve never heard of it either, do an Internet search for “blackout poetry” to find tons of ideas. This would be a great activity for National Poetry Month, which is in April, of course. All you need is dark markers and pages from discarded books, newspapers, or magazines.

Another fun idea, I thought, is encouraging teens (or anyone) to text a poem to a friend on Poem in Your Pocket Day which is April 18th.
            http://www.poets.org/page.php/prmID/406

FYI,
Jen

Jennifer Maurer