[OYAN] Are teens replacing Facebook with another social networking tool?

Barratt Miller BMiller at crooklib.org
Fri Apr 12 16:37:03 PDT 2013

I haven't talked about Facebook with the teens in my library, although I know that some use it and some don't. I use Remind101 (http://remind101.com) to send one-way mass text messages (or e-mails) to teens who are interested in text message program reminders. I work in a rural area with limited Internet access and a high poverty rate. All of the teens on my advisory board have basic cell phones, but other social media use seems to vary widely from teen to teen.

Maybe that's why teens seem to use text messaging more widely than Facebook or other forms of Internet-based social media? It doesn't matter if you have a smartphone or a data plan or a wifi connection or some other device with Internet access. Even the most basic cell phones can send text messages to anyone, from anywhere. Plus, they're small enough to be easily carried around in your pocket or backpack.

I read about Remind101 in a School Library Journal article. It's free, easy to use, and has been working well for me so far. If you're interested in a little more information before trying it, let me know!

Barratt Miller, MSLIS
Youth Services Librarian
Crook County Library
175 NW Meadow Lakes Drive
Prineville, OR 97754
541-447-7978 ext 303
bmiller at crooklib.org<mailto:bmiller at crooklib.org>
Crook County Library - Experience the Journey!