[OYAN] Article: Self-Questioning to Support Reading Comprehension

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Thu Aug 7 09:30:34 PDT 2014

Self-Questioning to Support Reading Comprehension<http://www.ldonline.org/article/Self-Questioning_to_Support_Reading_Comprehension>

By: Judy Zorfass, Liz Weinbloom, and PowerUp WHAT WORKS (2014)

Introduction

Proficient readers typically engage with a text by asking themselves questions as they read: Who is speaking? Why did the author choose this example? What's important here? Do I understand what I am reading?

In contrast, struggling readers, and those with disabilities, are not likely to pose questions before, during, or after reading. These students, in particular, need direct instruction and practice in self-questioning. As students develop this skill, they will become better at reading comprehension and will build the skills they need to be college and career ready. The specific ELA Common Core State Standards related to self-questioning are:

  *   CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.R.1<http://www.corestandards.org/ELA-Literacy/CCRA/R/1/> Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly and to make logical inferences from it; cite specific textual evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions drawn from the text.
  *   CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.R.2<http://www.corestandards.org/ELA-Literacy/CCRA/R/2/> Determine central ideas or themes of a text and analyze their development; summarize the key supporting details and ideas.
  *   CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.R.10<http://www.corestandards.org/ELA-Literacy/CCRA/R/10/> Read and comprehend complex literary and informational texts independently and proficiently.
Read the rest of the article here: http://www.ldonline.org/article/Self-Questioning_to_Support_Reading_Comprehension
What can library staff do?

*         Model self-questioning during storytimes so young children can start developing this strategy before they learn to read.

*         When parents ask questions about their struggling reader, say something like "I recently read an article about self-questioning which is one strategy for improving reading comprehension. Would you like me to print it for you?"

*         Model self-questioning during book clubs for children and teens.

*         During book clubs, talk with children and teens about the types of questions they can ask themselves while they are reading as a way to prepare for the next book club meeting.

*         Any other ideas? Please share!

Thanks,
Katie
Katie Anderson, Library Support and Development Services

[Fizz Boom Read][Girlandcloud]
Summer Reading 2014 at Oregon libraries<http://libdir.osl.state.or.us/>!
Find a summer food site<http://www.summerfoodoregon.org/>.