[OYAN] Info: Thinking about maker programs or a maker space? Read what other libraries are doing worldwide

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Tue Jun 23 08:46:59 PDT 2015

Hi! The latest newsletter from IFLA's Libraries for Children and Young Adults (http://www.ifla.org/node/9632) includes several articles about what libraries worldwide are doing for maker activities and maker spaces. Many of you are doing maker activities and some of you are considering creating maker spaces so I thought you might be interested.

Things that stood out to me in the articles I read:

*         Maker activities/spaces should be about teen experiences not adult agendas.

*         Libraries are not schools and librarians are not teachers. "MakerSpace activities should have limited adult direction. This is not school... Because these activities take place in a library the experience is very different than it would be in a school setting. This is not structured, class-room based learning-even if it may look similar to or its organization takes on some aspects of a classroom."

*         Maker activities "must encourage teenagers to experiment, to explore and to be innovative." My personal opinion based on other reading/research is that maker activities/spaces should provide teens opportunities to fail and try again and again.

*         Maker activities should focus on creativity and problem solving, "with a splash of library awareness"

*         Maker activities/spaces for youth have a wider impact on other library users, program facilitators, and the community.

Need to justify maker activities/spaces to decision makers? Use the 40 Developmental Assets for Adolescents (http://www.search-institute.org/content/40-developmental-assets-adolescents-ages-12-18)!

Thanks,
Katie

PS: IFLA is the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions.

[Slogan Text][Cooper_laughing]
Summer Reading 2015 at Oregon libraries<http://libdir.osl.state.or.us/>!
Find a summer food site<http://www.summerfoodoregon.org/>.

Katie Anderson, Youth Services Consultant
Library Support and Development Services<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/pages/index.aspx>