[OYAN] Success stories and photos for 2016 Oregon SRP Brief, submit by 11/1

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Wed Oct 26 13:07:40 PDT 2016

Do you want your library's summer reading success story featured in the 2016 Oregon Summer Reading Brief? If so, please send a photo with an accompanying success story to me by the end of the day Monday, November 1st.

This year I'm specifically looking for photos of and success stories about your library's summer reading...

*         Field trips away from the library (e.g. Spay Public/School Library took summer reading participants to the John Day Fossil Beds for a short hike and special program at the Paleontology Center.)

*         Free Summer Food Service outreach to other sites or at your library

*         Outreach at all other types of sites

*         Physical, health, and wellness activities related to the wellness/fitness/sports theme

*         STEM or STEAM activities

*         Summer learning partnerships with other organizations that serve underserved youth

*         Teen volunteers at work

Please be sure the photos can be publically released because the brief will be published online and become a government document.

Success stories must be short, ideally 100 words or less because I want to feature three stories and three photos in the report-see page two of last year's report<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/youthsvcs/srp.certificates/2015SRPBrief-fd.pdf> to get an idea about my space limitations.

Thank you,
Katie Anderson

PS for those who like more context: At a state-level meeting a couple months ago with folks from the Oregon Department of Education and several other state agencies and out of school organizations, one person posed the question about how we can get underserved kids to participate in summer learning because they face so many barriers getting to the program. I mentioned that many libraries actually take summer reading program and activities to locations where underserved kids already are, like free summer food sites and migrant housing complexes. You could have heard a pin drop in the room, they had no idea your libraries were doing that and they were very excited about it! It was something many of them never thought of doing in their own programs. Let's break the stereotype that library summer reading programs are only about books, crafts, performers, and parties at the library!

Katie Anderson, MLS, Youth Services Consultant
Library Support and Development Services<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/pages/index.aspx>
[cid:image004.png at 01D0358C.4523C4D0]<https://www.facebook.com/ORLibSupport>  [http://www.thewwwblog.com/images/blogger-logo.jpg] <http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/>   [http://www.aethlonmedical.com/assets/001/5130.png] <https://twitter.com/orlibsupport>   [Picture] <http://www.oregon.gov/OSL/LD/Pages/index.aspx>