[OYAN] 2019 Youth Media Awards

Greta Bergquist greta.bergquist at state.or.us
Mon Jan 28 10:50:24 PST 2019

Hi folks serving kids and teens in libraries,

The 2019 ALA Youth Media Awards were released this morning and you can see the list here<http://ala.unikron.com/YMA%2019%20Wrap%20-%20LSC.pdf>. As a reminder, the American Indian in Youth Literature awards have been on a 2 year cycle and you can see the 2018 winners here<https://ailanet.org/activities/american-indian-youth-literature-award/>. The Amelia Bloomer Top Ten list is here<https://ameliabloomer.wordpress.com/2019/01/28/2019-amelia-bloomer-top-ten/> and the full list will be out later this week. I grabbed a screenshot of the Rainbow List Top Ten<https://glbtrt.ala.org/rainbowbooks/archives/1270>, the full list of this one will also be out later this week. If anyone has a link to it now, feel free to share!

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D4B6F7.45619F30]

I personally loved many of these winners (yay for Alma & Juana Martinez-Neal!) and was of course also disappointed that a couple stories I was really rooting for didn't get highlighted here. However you feel about the winners, know that the work you do helping kids find stories that they can connect to and see themselves in matters every day - These lists are just one tool to help us do that, not the only one in our toolbox!

Best,

Greta B

Greta Bergquist
Youth Services Consultant