[OYAN] Speaking Up Resources

Greta Bergquist greta.bergquist at state.or.us
Tue Jan 29 11:24:21 PST 2019

Hi folks,

If you aren't familiar with Teaching Tolerance<https://www.tolerance.org/>, they have many resources for creating school cultures where all are welcome. I've found many of these resources to be helpful for library spaces as well.

In particular, when you have to address inappropriate behavior at the library (and I know some of you get to do this every day!), the Speak Up at School guide<https://www.tolerance.org/magazine/publications/speak-up-at-school> has a handy dandy one-page pocket guide with scenarios to help practice intervening. It could be good to try a scenario together at the beginning of every staff meeting, or share practicing with a coworker every Wednesday at 10am or something like that. I'd highly encourage practice and setting aside time to practice, none of this comes easy. If you try other ideas with this, let us know what works for you!

Best,

Greta B

Greta Bergquist
Youth Services Consultant