[OYAN] 2020 Mock Printz - News and Full List

Sonja Somerville SSomerville at cityofsalem.net
Wed Nov 6 13:18:14 PST 2019

Greetings again from your Oregon Young Adult Network 2020 Mock Printz Committee! We have more news to share and continued encouragement for you and your teen readers to consider attending:

Mock Printz 2020 - A Wild and Intense Afternoon of Book Discussions Ending with an Attempt to Guess which 2019 Release will Win ALA's Printz Award for Excellence in Young Adult Literature!
12:30-5:30 p.m. Saturday, January 11
Beaverton Community Center, 12350 SW 5th Street, Suite 100
It is free. It is SO FUN. There will be snacks. For teen readers, there will be ARCs to take home.

**This event will be available for remote attendance by individuals or groups gathered at other sites. You will need a computer, camera, and microphone to join us remotely.**

We now have the full list of eight books that participants should track down, read, and come prepared to discuss! Here are the book titles:

  *   Barely Missing Everything by Matt Mendez - #realisticfiction #latinx #struggling #multiplenarrators #ownvoices
  *   They Called Us Enemy by George Takei - #graphicmemoir #Japaneseimprisonment #lostinnocence #famousownvoices
  *   Internment by Samira Ahmed - #future #Muslimimprisonment #rebellion #injustice #ownvoices
  *   The Grace Year by Kim Liggett - #dystopia #ritesofpassage #womanmagic #devastating
  *   Fountains of Silence by Ruta Sepetys - #historicalfiction #Spain #fascism
  *   Destroy All Monsters by Sam J. Miller - #fantasy #realisticfiction #mentalillness #trauma
  *   Thirteen Doorways Wolves Behind the All by Laura Ruby - #historicalfiction #paranormal #orphanages
  *   House of Salt and Sorrows by Erin A. Craig - #fantasy #retelling #murdermystery

The other Very Exciting News is that our afternoon will begin with a short presentation by Abbey Gaterud from the Ooligan Press in Portland (https://ooligan.pdx.edu/) focused on the state of trade publishing today, what happens to a book after a writer is "finished," and self-publishing.

About the teen readers: We do love to have teen readers at the Mock Printz. We celebrate them. We listen to them. We feed them. We give them ARCs! We know it can be a hard sell. Teen participants have to be willing to read the books (or read most of the books) and then spend a day talking intensively with other teens and adults about books. That's a "not for me" proposition for a lot of teens, but for just the right people, it is MAGICAL. There is a group of four teens who have come with me from my library in Salem for the last two years and they all agree it is The Best Day Ever. So, ask around. Maybe you'll find a couple of students who are up for giving it a try!

Ready to sign up RIGHT NOW? Great. Registration is open through Google Forms. Let us know you're coming!!

https://forms.gle/5T8tnA3rwe3w6vLP6

Best,
Sonja Somerville, MLIS
Teen Services Senior Librarian
Pronouns: she/her/hers
City of Salem | Salem Public Library
585 Liberty St. SE, Salem, OR 97301
ssomerville at cityofsalem.net<mailto:ssomerville at cityofsalem.net> | 503-588-6083
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/spl.oregon> |Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/spl.oregon/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuw7eUMqW0fgwHhj8h1EClQ> | Pinterest<https://www.pinterest.com/sploregon/pins/> | CityofSalem.net<https://www.cityofsalem.net/Pages/library.aspx>