[OYAN] Monday, September 14th Summer Reading 2021 Links to Webinars & FAQS

Greta Bergquist greta.bergquist at state.or.us
Mon Sep 14 16:38:58 PDT 2020

Hello everyone,

In such a challenging week for our state on top of an already difficult year, I am hoping this brings a little joy your way - some news to share about Summer Reading 2021 and our transition to iREAD! This is sort of an FAQ, please let me know if I've left anything out that would be helpful for everyone to know.  I hope to see some of you virtually September 22nd and/or October 27th!

WHO COORDINATES iREAD AND STATEWIDE SUMMER READING?
Summer Reading in Oregon is a joint project among the OLA Children's Services Division, OYAN, and the State Library. For 2021 and 2022, our plan is to use iREAD as the statewide summer reading vendor. During 2021 and 2022, the CSD Board, OYAN Board, and State Library will assess how iREAD is working for Oregon libraries and get feedback from every library about how iREADs works for you. We will then decide together if we will continue with iREAD or go with another vendor for summer reading in the future based on what libraries tell us they need.

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
We will provide iREAD for all Oregon libraries free of charge through LSTA funding. You will receive access to an iREAD manual providing you with ideas and outlines for displays, crafts, and programs for all ages. This manual also contains all the graphics, bibliographies, and more. This year, we're transitioning to providing online access to the manual. You won't have to worry about losing a USB drive or entering access codes at a website anymore, hooray! Each library will be granted download access to a manual and can do whatever best suits their needs with it. You can save it to your own USB or multiple USBs, you can store it in a shared drive for multiple users to access, you can even print it all out if you want. An advantage of iREAD is that this access isn't a license, it's a purchase, so once you download the manual, it's all yours. If you are interested in a USB or print version of the manual, or program swag like t-shirts, bookmarks, posters, etc, you can purchase all of this and more at the iREAD store<https://www.ireadprogram.org/>.

WHY IREAD?
While many of the supports for your summer programming will remain the same, iREAD has some great features. They have a special focus on preventing summer slide<https://www.ireadprogram.org/store?keyword=summer+slide>. iREAD is flexible; you can use the art in perpetuity after purchase, it doesn't ever expire. iREAD is designed by in-practice librarians from urban, suburban, and rural libraries, and materials reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. iREAD contracts with illustrators to license the work of characters familiar to your participants. 2021's art not only features the work of Hervé Tullet, creator of the best-selling sensation Press Here but also the beloved Crayons from illustrator Oliver Jeffers. This recognizable, well-known art and characters help with promoting your program. iREAD always uses the words "book," "reading", or "library" in the theme, which will help us continue to promote libraries as key partners in building literacy and learning for Oregon kids and families. Lastly, iREAD has been very responsive and is open to learning and changing to better meet the needs of their libraries. When we asked for more options for Oregon librarians to get an introduction to iREAD, they suggested an Oregon-focused webinar and are happy to address other requests as they come in, we know you'll have them!

DOES THIS MEAN I CAN'T USE CSLP?
We are not providing monetary funding or support on the Collaborative Summer Library's (CSLP) theme Tails & Tales. Any library interested in using CSLP is welcome to join on their own.  You will need to pay their annual membership base fee, which is $20 for standalone library plus $2 for any branch libraries, and purchase any other material, such as a manual, that you wish to use to run the program. Libraries should consider that Ready to Read funding for Summer Reading may only be used on the statewide summer reading program. For many years, this was CSLP, but for 2021 and 2022, it will be iREADS. If your library wants to use Ready to Read funds for your 2021 or 2022 summer reading program, your library will need to use the iREADS theme.

HOW CAN I LEARN MORE?
This month, iREAD is hosting a welcome webinar for all librarians participating. Attendance at this session is capped, but don't worry! Not only is this session going to be recorded but iREAD staff is joining us for an Oregon-only webinar on October 27. After the October webinar, you will be able to download your manuals!

* Register for the September 22nd Webinar<https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_zB2_J-BAQhql681PthMfUg?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery> here.
  Details: Tuesday, September 22nd. 11am-12:30pm
  Your organization is the name of your library and for "how did you hear about this webinar?" you can say "state library communication." Your registration will be pending approval from iREAD.
Please register only one person per library so as many libraries can attend as possible. Also remember, this session will be recorded.

* Link to the October 27th Webinar below for any and all Oregon library staff.
Details: Tuesday, October 27th. 11am-12pm.
Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81981249085
Meeting ID: 819 8124 9085
Dial by your location
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

Ready to learn more about iREAD, this theme and see more designs from 2021's featured artists: Oliver Jeffers, Yuyi Morales, Hervé Tullet, and Zach Lehner? Check out the preview flyer<https://www.ireadprogram.org/content/documents/2021_preview_flyer.pdf?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery>.

Happy Monday!

Greta

Greta Bergquist
Youth Services Consultant
503-378-2528 | www.oregon.gov/library<https://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/?hl=en> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

Coronavirus Info: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus

[cid:image003.png at 01D68AB5.FC116380]