[OYAN] Teen Writing Groups & Penguin Random House Creative Writing Awards

Brianna Sowinski briannas at wccls.org
Wed Nov 8 15:58:20 PST 2023

Hello!
I'm interested in hearing about your teen writing groups; what works, what doesn't?

 In 2021 we received a Teen Services Grant from the Oregon State Library and hosted 3 sessions featuring the authors Sarah Mirk<https://www.mirkwork.com/>, Dawn Josephson<https://dawnjosephson.com/> & Carolyn O'Doherty<https://www.carolynodoherty.com/>, all of which were wonderful and easy to work with! At the end of the summer, teens submitted their pieces and we (err...I) compiled them into a print book which each teen received a copy of and was added to our library collection.
Since then, tweens and teens have requested a regular writing group but with their many extracurricular activities I've found it difficult to find a time that works for the teens in our small community.

If you do have a writing group, I'd love to hear from you! I'd also like to share that Penguin Random House is offering Creative Writing Awards in partnership with We Need Diverse Books https://learnmore.scholarsapply.org/penguinrandomhouse/ Please share with your writing groups, advisory boards and teens in your community!
Thank you,

Brianna Sowinski (she/her/they)

Librarian

North Plains Public Library

City of North Plains

503-647-5051

https://www.northplains.org/library

A member library of Washington County Cooperative Library Services

Follow me in the library catalog: NorthPlains_BriannaS<https://wccls.bibliocommons.com/user_profile/me>

My work week is Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday

[cid:6bd5ad4d-3046-48a4-a931-3239885edf7c]

NOTICE: This e-mail is a public record of the City of North Plains, Oregon, and is subject to the State of Oregon Retention Schedule and may be subject to public disclosure under the Oregon Public Records Law. This e-mail, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please send a reply e-mail to let the sender know of the error and destroy all copies of the original message.