[OYAN] How do you holiday?

MCMAHAN Caitlin A CMcMahan at eugene-or.gov
Tue Oct 31 13:55:06 PDT 2023

This is a fabulous question Lisa!

At Eugene Public Library it’s kind of a balance because the City itself does a Downtown Trick-or-Treat even and the library participates as a part of the Downtown area.

As far as programs and decorations are concerned, I feel like we lean into the Halloween-adjacent. We don’t have any specific displays or programs that are focusing celebrating Halloween, but we do lean into topics that patrons express an interest in this time of year: scary stories, cozy fall-vibes, and all things creepy. Specifically in Teen, we have a lot of teenage patrons who are very interested in the occult and creepy things year round and we just lean into it a little be more in October.

We would do something similar for other major holidays. Not necessarily celebrating the holiday itself, but we’d hover around the fringes with our programming and displays. With Thanksgiving, we do share more accurate accounts from the perspectives of Indigenous Peoples and I tend to do more “found family” displays because I have a lot of teens that have a very difficult time with their bio-families and holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas that focus on the traditional family can be really…hard.

For our children’s picture book holiday collection, we do have the books organized by holiday, but we have a large collection of holidays, not just major Euro-centric observances. Our current program policy is that we strive to present culturally authentic and relevant programs year round and we are very careful to not just celebrate communities once a year. The organizations we partner with have also made the shift to this approach as well.

Hopefully this is all of interest to folks!

And the gnarliest YA horror I’ve read? I tend to read more adult horror since sometimes I feel like YA horror is wrapped up a little to neatly, but I enjoyed Frozen Charlotte by Alex Bell (p.s. the cover is AWFUL!) and I loved Katherine Arden’s Small Spaces series (which is technically middle-grade). The second book in that series is particularly creepy.

Best,
Caitlin McMahan (she/her)
Teen Librarian | Eugene Public Library
Unpacking (discussion group) Organizer | Oregon Young Adult Network (OYAN) Outgoing-Chair
eugene-or.gov/library | cmcmahan at eugene-or.gov<mailto:cmcmahan at eugene-or.gov>