[OYAN] Back to school anxiety

Brianna Sowinski Brianna.Sowinski at northplains.gov
Wed Aug 21 18:50:28 PDT 2024

Hi,
We’ve had a number of teen volunteers this summer—and for some of them, it’s been clear that volunteering was more their adult’s idea than their own... 😊 But despite that, we’ve all had a good time working together, and overall, I feel like it’s been a positive experience.
This week, our teen volunteers have been having a hard time and have opened up to staff about what’s been bothering them. It makes me happy that they felt comfortable enough to share, but it also makes my heart hurt. Being a teen is so tough, and finding the right words to support them as caring adults can be super challenging.
A lot of what they’re feeling seems to revolve around going back to school and all the anxiety that comes with it. Is anyone else noticing heightened back-to-school dread and anxiety among their teens? It seems like more than the usual this year.
Do any of you have special back-to-school programs to help teens manage this stress and anxiety? Or maybe programs that focus on building confidence and social skills? I’d love to hear what’s working for you.
If your teens are having a rough time, or if you’re feeling the teen feels this week, I’m right there with you ❤

Brianna Sowinski        | She/Her/They
Librarian I     | North Plains, Oregon
503-647-5051    | www.northplains.gov/library

My work week is: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday
Proud member of Washington County Cooperative Services<https://www.wccls.org>
[cid:9ffba1c3-edae-4070-b72c-0c032d239dad]