[OYAN] Sharing about our mentors

Brianna Sowinski briannas at wccls.org
Fri Jan 12 16:04:14 PST 2024

Great topic Caitlyn!

I'm reaching all the way back to someone that meant a lot to me as teen, and means even more to me as an adult who works with teens. I went to high school in a small and rural town in Idaho (not unlike North Plains). My high school English & Creative Writing teacher, Mike Brown has been a mentor for me and is one of the reasons I landed in librarianship and teen librarianship!

We had a required Reading class in 9th or 10th grade and to start out each and every class he channeled Fred Rogers, changed his shoes, put on a cardigan and sang "Won't You Be My Neighbor" and read out loud to the class. He handpicked books for me from his classroom library and broadened my world view.

My friend group spent lunch periods in his classroom for 3 years and he let us interrupt his break time to talk with us, share his copies of The Onion (in print!), and to challenge our thinking and call us out when we needed to be called out. He always treated us like equals and adults and saw us as individuals. He gave me my first D on an assignment and pushed me to take Creative Writing and pursue attending a Creative Writing camp my junior year. (Something I would not have done without his encouragement as a painfully shy teenager.)

I'm so thankful to him and the MANY other librarians and colleagues who have mentored me!

Brianna Sowinski (she/her/they)

Librarian

North Plains Public Library

City of North Plains

503-647-5051

https://www.northplains.org/library

A proud member library of Washington County Cooperative Library Services<https://www.wccls.org/>

Follow me in the library catalog: NorthPlains_BriannaS<https://wccls.bibliocommons.com/user_profile/me>

My work week is Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday