[PL-Directors] FW: Project ENABLE

MaryKay Dahlgreen marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us
Tue Feb 17 13:56:47 PST 2015

I just looked at the website for this project and it looks like it has lots of great information. I encourage you and/or your staff to take a look.
MaryKay

MaryKay Dahlgreen
Oregon State Librarian
503-378-4367
marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us
http://oregon.gov/osl
[02_inch_2_color_cmyk]

Dear State Librarians,
My name is Ruth Small and I am professor and director of the Center for Digital Literacy at the School of Information Studies at Syracuse University. Since 2010, we have been funded by IMLS to create and extend Project ENABLE (Expanding Non-discriminatory Access By Librarians Everywhere), a project that brings free, comprehensive online training to librarians nationwide on library and information services to people with disabilities.

The url for the site is: http://projectenable.syr.edu

I am hoping you will forward this message to all of the librarians in your state to make them aware of this incredible resource.

We recently launched our newly redesigned Project ENABLE training web site and expanded its target audience of school librarians to include public and academic librarians. In doing so, we believe we are providing a unique and innovative combination of features, including:

*         a site design based on instructional and motivational theories and models and pilot tested several times during its development. The site consists of five learning modules covering multiple topics and sub-topics. They include:

o   Disability Awareness (person-first language and sensitivity, students' perspective (videos by students with disabilities), experiencing disability (covering autism spectrum disorder, Asperger's syndrome, ADHD, dyslexia, hearing and vision impairments, physical disabilities).

o   Disability Law & Policy (Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, IEPs, Americans with Disabilities Act).

o   Creating an Accessible Library (Universal Design, evaluating your library's accessibility, library accessibility action plan, facilities design, collection development, library policies and procedures, leadership and advocacy).

o   Planning Inclusive Programs and Instruction (motivating diverse learners, Universal Design for Learning, differentiated instruction, collaboration, inclusive programs or lessons with examples, assessment).

o   Assistive Technology in Libraries (what is assistive technology, assistive technology for every disability, implementing and evaluating assistive technology, web accessibility).

*         training that is customized according to a type of library setting (school, academic, public) and location (state). That means that, for example, a school librarian from Florida who registers for Project ENABLE training will automatically receive information most relevant to a school library setting with any state-specific information included.

*         the option for librarians to register as individuals or for administrators or trainers to register a group or class. So, for example, if a public library director wishes to have all of the librarians in the library system participate in the training, he or she can register them as a group. The system will automatically generate a code for that group which each of those trainees then use when they register. The administrator can then monitor the progress and achievement of the group and each individual within the group throughout the training.

*         the opportunity to take an Initial Assessment, a 30-item, multiple choice test that assesses knowledge in all of the areas covered in the training. The items are randomly generated from a pool of over 300 items so it can be retaken, if necessary, with little chance of getting the exact same items. Feedback on accuracy of responses is immediate. There is also a Final Assessment that the trainee can take after completing the training modules, allowing comparison to the Initial Assessment to demonstrate learning success. Each training module has a brief quiz (5 multiple choice items, randomly generated from a pool of 50+ items) at the end of the module that tests the trainee only on the content within that module. Again, the trainee receives immediate feedback on the accuracy of responses and can retake a quiz multiple times with little chance of getting exactly the same questions.

*         a variety of formats including text, videos, graphics, photos, audio files, links to relevant sites, games, interactive activities, evaluation checklists (e.g., accessibility of the library facility), and fill-in templates for creating action plans for ensuring an accessible library and designing inclusive lesson plans. We've even included a facilities redesign exercise that provides a graphic representation of a library floor plan with furniture that can be manipulated to help in redesigning the library to make it accessible to all users.

*         a "My Ideas" feature allows the trainee to take notes or jot down ideas while progressing through the training. These notes and ideas, as well as test and quiz scores, are saved to the trainee's password-protected personal page called "My Account" for reference at any time.

*         a certificate of achievement, available (and printable) to any trainee successfully completing all of the training and assessments. This certificate may serve as evidence of completion of approximately 20 hours of professional development.

Thank you so much for helping us "spread the word" about this free and important training web site for librarians. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me at drruth at syr.edu<mailto:drruth at syr.edu>

Ruth V. Small, Ph.D.
Laura J. & L. Douglas Meredith Professor
Director, Center for Digital Literacy
Director, Project ENABLE
Co-Editor, School Library Research
School of Information Studies