[PL-Directors] Oregon Public Library Survey update for 2018

Ross Fuqua Ross.Fuqua at state.or.us
Wed Jun 6 12:27:33 PDT 2018

Hello public library directors of Oregon!

Here's a quick update on this year's Oregon Public Library Survey/Statistical Report. Please forward this message on to appropriate staff at your library, and please send any questions my way:

Important dates, deadlines, and basic info:

*        As always, the 2018 Public Library Survey (aka, Statistical Report) will cover service measures, financial info, and other statistics from your library for the state fiscal year period of July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018.

*        We expect to open the online survey collection tool (Bibliostat Collect) for you no later than August 3, 2018 (hopefully a little sooner). We'll ask that you complete your library's survey by October 1, 2018.

*        From what our vendor has shared with us, the online collection tool is going to receive a (much needed) cosmetic redesign this year. I've seen a sandbox version of it and it looks good. I expect the survey structure and (its navigation) to largely remain the same.

New survey question & improvements:

*        We are adding one new question this year: number of library website visits, as now required by the IMLS. After several years of refinement, the IMLS and state library agencies believe that this data will help public libraries tell a more compelling story about the evolution of library use by virtual patrons on a national scale. I realize many of you may face significant barriers to obtaining this data for your library, but that's okay! I'm here to help, and I'll be sharing a definition, instructions, and more info soon. The State Library of Oregon and the IMLS will be looking for public libraries to simply make their best reasonable effort to report website visits this year, and the IMLS plans to help us all improve the accuracy and methodology for this data point over the next four years.

*        We've refined the language in the questions and definitions regarding locally held/purchased/licensed e-book and e-audiobook collections and circulation, to now include local or regional e-content consortia other than ODLC/Library2Go. The nature of these two questions remains the same - I've just updated the language in response to new e-book consortia models that have cropped up recently, or that may crop up in the future.

Please look for more information and documentation from me in the next few weeks. I'll also be reaching out to new library directors directly about training/support, but please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions!

More soon.

Cheers,

Ross Fuqua
Data & Federal Programs Consultant