[PL-Directors] COVID-19 vaccines and libraries

NIELSEN Buzzy * SLO Buzzy.NIELSEN at slo.oregon.gov
Fri Jan 8 12:08:36 PST 2021

Hi everyone,

We've received several questions regarding how libraries and library workers fit into the state's plans for distributing COVID-19 vaccinations. We don't have any specific information about libraries, but we wanted to share with you what we do know. This message is long, but hopefully it provides you with helpful information to share with your staff and decisionmakers.

The state has a website specifically about COVID-19 vaccines in Oregon<https://covidvaccine.oregon.gov/>. The page includes information about the various vaccines that are being developed, plans for distribution, the state's stock of vaccines, and more. The prioritization<https://covidvaccine.oregon.gov/#prioritization> section indicates how the state plans to distribute the vaccine and how it will be prioritized, including the detailed draft vaccination plan<https://www.oregon.gov/oha/covid19/Documents/COVID-19-Vaccination-Plan-Oregon.pdf>.

Page 43 of the plan shows the phased approach the state is taking for distribution. The phases are based on the number of vaccine does available. The Vaccine Advisory Committee<https://www.oregon.gov/oha/PH/PREVENTIONWELLNESS/VACCINESIMMUNIZATION/IMMUNIZATIONPARTNERSHIPS/Pages/COVID-19-Vaccine-Advisory-Committee.aspx> will advise OHA on equitable vaccine sequencing. We're currently in phase 1-A. Here are the populations who'll be getting vaccinated in the different phases.

  *   Phase 1 (potentially limited does available). Further details about Phase 1 are available in the Phase 1a Vaccine Sequencing Plan<https://sharedsystems.dhsoha.state.or.us/DHSForms/Served/le3527.pdf> and the Phase 1a Sequencing Update<https://sharedsystems.dhsoha.state.or.us/DHSForms/Served/le3527b.pdf>.
     *   1-A: Health care personnel, long-term care facility residents
     *   1-B: Other essential workers*, people at risk for COVID-19 due to underlying health conditions, people ages 65+
  *   Phase 2 (large number of does available): Remainder of phase 1 populations, critical populations**, general population
  *   Phase 3 (continued vaccination): Expansion of work done with populations in phase 2.

Many counties have their own vaccine distribution plans, which may include information more specific to your community. We highly recommend that you check out the websites of your local public health department<https://www.oregon.gov/oha/ph/ProviderPartnerResources/LocalHealthDepartmentResources/Pages/lhd.aspx> to see if a county-specific plan is available.

We also wanted to let you know that the State Library, along with all of the other state agencies, were asked for information about our stakeholders (i.e. all of you) for consideration by the Vaccine Advisory Committee. Here are the key points that the we shared:

  *   Library workers are in varied environments depending on the type of library and nature of the position.
  *   Some libraries may be under pressure from local decisionmakers to open up more widely than is safe to do so.
  *   Some library facilities do not allow for safe physical distancing.
  *   Many libraries offer virtual services and curbside pick-up, but there are important services that are not being offered while library buildings are closed (e.g. public/student computers).
  *   While not in the category of frontline health workers or essential retail such as grocery stores, libraries play an important role in supporting students and workforce development.

We will keep you posted if we find out more information. In the meantime, all of us here at the State Library appreciate everything that you've been doing for your communities during the pandemic. Please let us know if we can answer any further questions.

Stay safe, stay healthy,
Buzzy

* Unfortunately, the vaccine documentation does not clearly define "essential workers". Sections 3 and 4 of the vaccination plan<https://www.oregon.gov/oha/covid19/Documents/COVID-19-Vaccination-Plan-Oregon.pdf> give some suggestions, if you're interested.

** See section 4 of the vaccination plan<https://www.oregon.gov/oha/covid19/Documents/COVID-19-Vaccination-Plan-Oregon.pdf> for a list of critical populations.

Buzzy Nielsen, MPP, MSI
Program Manager, Library Support & Development Services
buzzy.nielsen at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:buzzy.nielsen at slo.oregon.gov> | 971-375-3486 | www.oregon.gov/library/libraries<https://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

[cid:image002.png at 01D6E5B6.AFB176E0]