[PL-Directors] Agreements to serve people outside your service areas?

NIELSEN Buzzy * SLO Buzzy.NIELSEN at slo.oregon.gov
Mon Jan 31 13:39:24 PST 2022

Public library directors,

We're starting the process of calculating the 2023 Ready to Read grants. I know, we're working on it a bit early! When calculating your population, we include people for whom you have an agreement with another government entity to provide public library service, people who don't live in your library's official service area and don't otherwise have access to public library service. Here are a few examples:

  *   A city library that has an agreement with a school district to give free cards to children who live outside city limits but inside the school district.
  *   A city library that has an agreement with the county to serve people who live in the unincorporated parts of the county.

An official agreement would be an intergovernmental agreement or memorandum of understanding between your library and another government entity (e.g. school district, county). To reiterate, these are agreements to provide public library service to people who live outside your library's official service area and who otherwise do not have access to free public library service. Because we're only looking for official agreements to serve people who are otherwise unserved, the items below do not count.

  *   Interlibrary agreements to give cards to each other's patrons.
  *   Shared library catalogs.
  *   A city library that's part of a countywide library service (i.e. LINCC, WCCLS, CCRLS, UCSLD, CCLSD, LCLD) and serves people in the unincorporated parts of the county.
  *   Undocumented/informal practices to give out free library cards to people who are unserved.

If you have such an official agreement, could you please let me know and send any documentation about it? It could affect your Ready to Read grant amount, as well as possibly your population that's listed in the annual public library statistics.

These are the agreements about which we're already aware and have verified, so if you're on this list, we already know about you, unless there have been changes.

  *   Eugene PL's agreement with the school district
  *   Seaside PL/Clatsop County libraries' agreement to serve children in unincorporated parts of the county
  *   Springfield PL's agreement with the school district
  *   Union County libraries' (Cook, Elgin, North Powder, and Union) agreement to serve people in unincorporated parts of the county

The Ready to Read calculation process takes a while, so there's no particular rush for this information. But as soon as you're ready to send it would be great.

Thanks, folks! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers!

Buzzy Nielsen, MPP, MSI (he/him/his)
Program Manager, Library Support & Development Services
State Library of Oregon
buzzy.nielsen at slo.oregon.gov | 971-375-3486
www.oregon.gov/library/libraries<https://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[Logo for the Library Support & Development Services division at the State Library of Oregon]<http://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries>