[R2R-OR] Making changes to your grant--it's easy, just ask!

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Thu Jan 10 15:28:37 PST 2013

I'm getting lots of requests to make changes to your 2012-2013 Ready to Read Grants-yay!

To request a change to your Ready to Read Grant all you have to do is call or email me and give me a brief explanation of the changes-one or two sentences is usually sufficient. I'll email you an official approval letter that you can put in your Ready to Read files which may come in handy if you're ever audited. I'll put a copy in my files at the State Library in case we're audited or we get a request to provide documentation when your library is audited (this really does happen!).

When DO you need to request a change to your grant? If you want or need to spend Ready to Read Grant funds on something you did not say you were going to spend them on in your application. For example, if you asked to spend $500 on performers and $500 on books, but your Friends Group unexpectedly pays for a performer and you decide you want to spend some money to cover staff planning time, then you need to ask permission to make that change because spending R2R funds on staff wasn't in your application.

When do you NOT need to request a change to your grant? If you are just shifting funds around, but you are still spending the money on the same things you said you were going to spend it on in your application. For example, if you asked to spend $500 on performers and $500 on books, but your Friends Group unexpectedly pays for a performer you can shift the money saved to buy more books without asking because spending R2R funds on books was in your application.

This isn't a new requirement, we're just trying to communicate it better and be more diligent about documentation.

Never hesitate to ask if you aren't sure. I'm happy to help!

Thanks,
Katie