[R2R-OR] Friday, June 5th End of the Week Message

Greta Bergquist greta.bergquist at state.or.us
Fri Jun 5 13:43:57 PDT 2020

Hello everyone,

It's been a heavy week for all of us here and I imagine for you too. Many of you are worried about this pandemic for health reasons of your own, or your friends and family members. Many of you are mourning the loss of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Ahmaud Arbery, as well as the unjust conditions leading to their murders and those of so many others. Adding to this grief is understanding that COVID-19 is disproportionately impacting our black and brown family, friends, and colleagues - this is  disheartening and sobering as we work to rapidly shift our idea of what libraries will be for the foreseeable future.

It takes so much energy to work in crisis. I am grateful for all the work you are doing right now to meet your community's information needs. I want to share something Jason Reynolds said last night -"Every little bit is not a little bit. It's a big bit." Please know the work you are doing is important and necessary, no matter the size of your contribution. (You can watch him and other kids authors<https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=248795633092755&ref=watch_permalink> speaking last night to kids and parents, and resources compiled by the Brown Bookshelf here<https://thebrownbookshelf.com/2020/06/04/kidlit-rally-4-black-lives-anti-racist-resources-for-children-families-and-educators/>.)

I hope this weekend you are able to take a deep breath, get outside for a few minutes, talk with folks you care about, work together on something with someone you respect. We are in a marathon, not a sprint, and we will need all our reserves to keep going. Please give yourselves, your loved ones, and your community kindness, compassion, and patience as we continue to work and grow together in challenging circumstances.

Best,

Greta

Greta Bergquist
Youth Services Consultant
503-378-2528 | www.oregon.gov/library<https://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/?hl=en> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

Coronavirus Info: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus

[cid:image003.png at 01D63B3F.959C8690]