[R2R-OR] Monday, January 11th - tomorrow's office hours on Collection Development

BERGQUIST Greta * SLO Greta.BERGQUIST at slo.oregon.gov
Mon Jan 11 09:53:23 PST 2021

Hello everyone,

Last week was a long week. I remain grateful for last Tuesday's office hours, where a library staff member brought a discussion topic for the group, asking about what others are doing with Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House series. You may have seen some of School Library Journal's articles on this timely collection development work<https://www.slj.com/?detailStory=Little-House-Big-Problem-Little-House-Big-Problem-What-To-Do-with-Classic-Books-That-Are-Also-Racist>, or resources from ALSC.<https://www.alsc.ala.org/blog/2020/06/problem-with-classic-literature/> This question led to deep discussion about values we hold as library staff, about intellectual freedom, about how we are welcoming institutions for all those we serve, and what type of content is prioritized on our shelves. You can see notes here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uSzEwJ9jbkuEt3X7gdBmCBmHOANuWocthTHOOcLYBjU/edit?usp=sharing>.

These are challenging conversations. We are talking about deeply held values, values that made many of us choose to work in libraries. We all bring our own perspectives and experiences to these conversations, and are being vulnerable with each other when we share our ideas. I wanted to say thank you to everyone last week who dug into this conversation and to those of you not present but still working on these hard things! You are all working to make libraries welcoming places for all our kids, and wrestling with how to do that while also not censoring materials. There are not easy answers and I appreciate so much the willingness to dive into this. I know it is challenging, uncomfortable at times, and I'm looking forward to continuing these conversations with you as we learn and work together.

For tomorrow's office hours, we'll chat about Collection Development and Best of 2020 lists. Any library staff with questions or ideas about how we do collection development for youth in a pandemic, hop on! If you have experienced some successes, this would be a great place to share! This session will not be recorded, the information to join is below.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88398149898?pwd=VjVaOWlSQkwvcS94UFNzTlZSV29DUT09

Meeting ID: 883 9814 9898
Passcode: reading

One tap mobile
+14086380968,,88398149898# US (San Jose)
+16699006833,,88398149898# US (San Jose)

Meeting ID: 883 9814 9898
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kcfsu1rXgK

Quick reminder: Tuesday, January 19th we'll be discussing this article about community engagement: Everyone is an Evaluator.<https://www.nexuscp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Evaluation-and-Community-Engagement-Everyone-is-an-Evaluator.pdf>  Please read ahead of time if you are planning to join.

Best,

Greta

Greta Bergquist
Youth Services Consultant
971-375-3549 | www.oregon.gov/library<https://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/?hl=en> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

Coronavirus Info: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus

[cid:image003.png at 01D6E7FF.9919A600]