[R2R-OR] Friday, Sept 23rd Shoutout

BERGQUIST Greta E * SLO Greta.BERGQUIST at slo.oregon.gov
Fri Sep 23 10:20:30 PDT 2022

Hello everybody,

We made it to Friday!  Today's shoutout goes to everyone promoting banned books this week and every week. Lake Oswego had teens write encouraging postcards<https://www.facebook.com/LOLibrary/posts/pfbid0o1MFL5xXxrHycX6fHNv5xr72yKXK5ySrSogzbHNnLFaF4HVLqVbm9AjgkNzdZHjrl> to authors whose books have been banned, and Central Oregon librarians shared their favorite banned books<https://ktvz.com/news/2022/09/21/central-oregon-libraries-mark-banned-books-week-with-virtual-panel-discussion-about-censorship/>. I know many of you are doing similar campaigns this week.

If you're curious about the current national conversation, an hour long summary from The Daily Show<https://youtu.be/i2iiyU-z5E4> may be helpful. Roy Wood Jr. hosted Deborah Caldwell, ALA's Office of Intellectual Freedom Director, and George M. Johnson, author of All Boys Aren't Blue, to discuss what's happening across the country. This is a good summary of what's happening and points folks to the new Unite Against Book Bans<https://uniteagainstbookbans.org/> toolkit. My colleague Tamara Ottum, cc'd here, sits on the OLA Intellectual Freedom Committee and is also a great resource when you have challenges.

Thank you for making sure there are items in your collection representing the full lives and experiences of your community members even when a small vocal minority is protesting those books' presence. Have a good weekend!

Best,
Greta

Greta Bergquist, MLIS, MAT (she/her/hers)
Youth Services Consultant
State Library of Oregon
greta.bergquist at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:greta.bergquist at slo.oregon.gov>  | 971-375-3549
www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[Title: State Library of Oregon]