[Sora] Two News Stories of Potential Interest

Jerry Curry jerry.w.curry at state.or.us
Fri Apr 13 14:22:26 PDT 2018

Hello SORA folks,

I help put together a (week)daily electronic news clippings service which we send to 1700+ subscribers.  That product, eClips, is available for your review here<https://statelibraryeclips.wordpress.com/>.

The reason I am writing however, is to bring a couple of recent news stories we've included to your attention.

These stories really focus upon the importance of accurate data collection & analysis.   Consequently, the State of Texas had to walk back on some statistics they were reporting.

Anyway, perhaps these will be worth your time as the articles seemed "up our alley".

Popular Science
The horrifying maternal mortality rate in Texas turned out to be wrong, but that's not the biggest issue
-The lone star state isn't alone-
https://www.popsci.com/maternal-mortality-rates-texas

Washington Post
Texas's maternal mortality rate was unbelievably high. Now we know why.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/04/11/texas-maternal-mortality-rate-was-unbelievably-high-now-we-know-why/?utm_term=.aa5eb4fb5bc6

Hope you all enjoy a great weekend.

-Jerry

Jerry Curry